Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

me too, I've had ten broody chooks in the last two weeks, and three of those have come back after a couple of eggs for a second go. I only have three broody cages, so it's been like musical chairs and me walking around carrying a chook saying "what am I going to do with this chook", and now, four of the chooks that didn't go broody are starting to moult. There goes my permanent egg orders, not to mention all the freebies my visitors expect when they visit.
if you put more than one broody in each cage they annoy each other more and it breaks the broodiness much more quickly.

xxxxx M

Anyone know how to break doves from being broodie? Babysitting my sisters pair and gave them an old cat carrier to sleep in. This silly pair have never managed to set on eggs because she always gets bored and leaves them after a couple of days then goes back to them 6 hours later. From what I read the male and female tag team sitting on them.

Well the cat carrier seems to have been what she needed lol, I haven't seen her leave it in 4-5 days. She isn't coming out at all and he isn't tag teaming her then for food and water. I'm a bit concerned she isn't giving him his turn so is going to make herself sick. I'm thinking I might have to pull her off the nest today to try and get her to eat?

Oh and there really is zero chance the eggs will hatch. They are fantailed birds and to breed then they have to trim their tail feathers so they can achieve it but these aren't trimmed.

Last edited:
me too, I've had ten broody chooks in the last two weeks, and three of those have come back after a couple of eggs for a second go. I only have three broody cages, so it's been like musical chairs and me walking around carrying a chook saying "what am I going to do with this chook", and now, four of the chooks that didn't go broody are starting to moult. There goes my permanent egg orders, not to mention all the freebies my visitors expect when they visit.

hahaha wow thats a lot of broodies!

Anyone know how to break doves from being broodie? Babysitting my sisters pair and gave them an old cat carrier to sleep in. This silly pair have never managed to set on eggs because she always gets bored and leaves them after a couple of days then goes back to them 6 hours later. From what I read the male and female tag team sitting on them.

Well the cat carrier seems to have been what she needed lol, I haven't seen her leave it in 4-5 days. She isn't coming out at all and he isn't tag teaming her then for food and water. I'm a bit concerned she isn't giving him his turn so is going to make herself sick. I'm thinking I might have to pull her off the nest today to try and get her to eat?

Oh and there really is zero chance the eggs will hatch. They are fantailed birds and to breed then they have to trim their tail feathers so they can achieve it but these aren't trimmed.

Awwwww doves! No idea sorry, it was a very interesting post though, gorgeous :)

Thought I'd share a photo of these crazy birds. This is the male. He spends most of his time with his head tucked up like that so they know where they are going because their bellies bump into something lol. They can stand like a normal dove as they do that to eat but 90% of the time is spent tucked up. From the front they look like they are headless
1f633.png
You can see why achieving fertilisation with that tail and that chest would be tricky lol
They are culls from a very successful show bird breeder and to breed them they use regular doves as broodies as these are known for wandering off their nests. That's why her sticking to it has surprised me.

Last edited:

Thought I'd share a photo of these crazy birds. This is the male. He spends most of his time with his head tucked up like that so they know where they are going because their bellies bump into something lol. They can stand like a normal dove as they do that to eat but 90% of the time is spent tucked up. From the front they look like they are headless
1f633.png
You can see why achieving fertilisation with that tail and that chest would be tricky lol
They are culls from a very successful show bird breeder and to breed them they use regular doves as broodies as these are known for wandering off their nests. That's why her sticking to it has surprised me.

I only have little diamond doves so not quite they same but have never tried to break her from being broody. I just leave her be. I guess if she isn't able to hatch anything she will give up eventually.

Back
Top Bottom