Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Good morning folks

Sadly, still time poor .. so much to do, so little time and now I have to throw in an 8 hour work day
hmm.png

Once again, coop of the week ‘Jungle Coop’ is very similar to what we hope to achieve and we are getting there .. still a bit rough around the edges and lots of work to do, but I have high hopes that the finished product is going to blend in well with the tropical feel of the garden, especially once I get the paint brush and stain out
wink.png

Good morning folks Sadly, still time poor .. so much to do, so little time and now I have to throw in an 8 hour work day :/ Once again, coop of the week ‘Jungle Coop’ is very similar to what we hope to achieve and we are getting there .. still a bit rough around the edges and lots of work to do, but I have high hopes that the finished product is going to blend in well with the tropical feel of the garden, especially once I get the paint brush and stain out ;)
Looking good. :)

Guys I need some help. I have to ask the age old question hen or roo, regarding my speckled sussex Iris. I also asked in the sussex thread but everyone here replies quicker. Everyone at home this morning but myself, heard Iris make some noise which they think was some feeble attempt at crowing this morning. I adopted her at 12 weeks, she had been sexed but the lady at city chicks said they had had a few 'gender benders' in the past, which is understandable of course. As she grew I had no reason to think otherwise, no early crowing, or comb development. If she is a he I can take him back and he can live out his days there, without ending up in a pot. What do you all think? She is six months old, and very friendly.
That"s a for sure rooster.

Good morning folks Sadly, still time poor .. so much to do, so little time and now I have to throw in an 8 hour work day :/ Once again, coop of the week ‘Jungle Coop’ is very similar to what we hope to achieve and we are getting there .. still a bit rough around the edges and lots of work to do, but I have high hopes that the finished product is going to blend in well with the tropical feel of the garden, especially once I get the paint brush and stain out ;)
It's looking good. The princesses will love that :) :thumbsup

Hehe they all soft as marshmallow at heart. Speaking of hubby s , we just had the fire brigade visit, lights and all cause hubby decided to do a little burn off.
Put the horses in spin. :rolleyes:

:lau You got to love hubbys. I can so relate to this one. Many years ago we lived in Paddington in Brissy.. Anyone who isn't from qld it's a very yuppy area. Him and some mates go out to light the outside bbq and then about 20 mins later we hear sirens and yes someone had called the fire brigade. Seems the boys had got carried away with the amount of wood they put in and the smoke had caused someone to call them. Was a little embarrassing to see two men peering down into the yard.(the yard was so steep we used to call it the ski jump.)

Last edited:
when she notices and runs to number 2 they go to number 3 and eat something and so on it goes.
Yes, any time another girl goes to get some, they rush over going "mine! mine! mine!". It's stupid, they'd be better off concentrating on "their" spot, instead of spending all their time running around trying to stop everyone else having some.
but I have high hopes that the finished product is going to blend in well with the tropical feel of the garden,
It's going to look great, can't wait to see it finished.

Can anyone help with a baby bird identification?

I believe the bird which is feeding it is a Magpie Lark? However, I do not believe this is it's baby? The larger, browner bird is definitely a youngster because it is constantly asking for food and the black and white one is feeding it. However, the baby is so much bigger than the one sticking with it?

I will try and get a clearer picture of the baby ............

Edited to Add:

I was right, it is not the parent .. the baby is a Koel "The true Koels, Eudynamys, are a genus of Cuckoos from Asia, Australia and the Pacific. They are large sexually dimorphic cuckoos which eat fruits and insects and have loud distinctive calls".

Well, there ya go .. I did not know we had Cuckoos
hmm.png
That poor little Magpie Lark trying to keep that huge baby fed
wink.png

PS. The girls are not impressed by his constant demands for food and keep raising the alarm. Yesterday he was just sitting in the middle of the lawn and they were freaking out! lol

Last edited:
I can't look it up at the moment, but isn't that what cuckoos do? Squat in other birds' nests? There's that saying "a cuckoo in the nest".

Hey potato chip yep, I edited to add that it turns out that it is a Koel [genus of Cuckoo] which I was surprised to find out we have here in Australia, first time I have ever experienced one and yep, the Koel lays an egg in the nest, when the baby hatches it boots out the other babies so it is the only one and the 'parent' raises it.

While it is a bit sad for the Magpie Lark babies he ousted, he is actually very cute :)

Back
Top Bottom