Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Welcome.

Can't move past photos. Were you told what breed your chicks are? If they came from a mixed pen it could just be her make up to be smaller. She could even be a naked neck if you are lucky. I can't zoom in on the photo on this device unfortunately.

If she's eating and behaving normally, doesn't have diarrhoea or any bad signs and you're providing all normal care needs. Heat, chick starter etc. I wouldn't stress. She will probably feather out shortly.

Far more knowledgable people than I might have better advice though.

Keep us updated.

I must go now and see who is trying to crow.

MyHaven ( this is my fourth go at posting --- things are not as they should be on this site here !!! )

If you go to the ORIGINAL photographs posted my mooandmcgee, click or double click on them - the larger photograph should show up. Then just use ( < back ) to return to the post ... but you probably know that already
hide.gif
. This site gets the wobbles frequently, and I have a lot of trouble with it.

First photo shows very plainly, the naked neck on the chicken. And I am sure you know one heckuva lot more than I do about various breeds, some of which would display this oddity, as you mentioned ....

Will comment further to mooandmcgee - in welcome and whatever I might be able to help with ( which unfortunately, wouldn't be much ).

Cheers.......

Hey everyone, I'm new to chickens & have a young flock of three beautiful girls (council here in QLD only allows us to have 5).
1f609.png

Wondering if anyone might be able to help me with our little "special" Carla. I bought her just over a week ago & she has always had a baldish neck and scruffily looking feathers. She is also a little bit on the smaller side even though I know she has been getting enough food and water. She isn't getting pecked, she has no infections & wondering if she is just going to out grow her "ugly duckling" phase or should I be concerned that she is sick.

Carla is the little one on the right.

Many Thanks!!!

A hearty welcome mooandmcgee ....

Your beautiful girls are quite young, and although I am not into the feathering on young birds, I rather think she will be alright - given that she is eating, drinking and doing normal things. It could indeed be an 'ugle duckling' phase ....

While there are many rules, regulations and implications for chicken keeping, I have also learned ( from my own 3 girls, formerly 5 ) and from other posts here, that nothing surprises when it comes to chooks. They do their thing - which sends us into a frenzy at times, but they do it anyway.

As long as they are healthy, upright, eating, drinking, pecking at the ground for (maybe) goodies, walking well and generally in good condition, all seems to be well.

Enjoy your new darlings.

Cheers ........

Thanks @MyHaven and @Teila
The two black ones were sold to me as black Orpingtons. Not 100% I got what I paid for though.
1f610.png
Carla the little one did have a crop issue that I took her to the vet for and that has cleared up. They are now just over 3wks old and I feel like I am way out of my depth. My daughters and I love them to death but still quite stressful.
1f633.png

Orps are a larger breed so that could be making Carla look small. They look like black Orps to me. I'm no experts though.

OH FOR HEAVENS SAKE .... THE WHOLE DARNED LOT SHOWED UP .... YET THE SITE SAID I HAD TO STAY ON THE PAGE OR LEAVE IT  ???    WHAT THE HECK ?  :mad:

Oooooo you said heck !! Lol

Never mind at least we got the message. I'm not going to say I knew that after all your hard work - I'm on the iPhone and while it lets me open the pic it won't let me zoom in like when on a PC. I'll look properly when I can.

Have a good night.

When buying a coop is the poop drawer a must have?
A must not have, IMHO. I've only had them in my rabbit hutches (one of which is a chicken coop). You pull them out, the poo smears on the top of the frame. Sometimes they've pooed "high" and you wipe off a huge pile of poo as you pull it out. They don't poo in the tray, they poo at the sides of it. They can't make the tray the full width, because if the timber swells you won't be able to remove it, so they have to leave a clearance at either side. There will be poo on either side and you will smear that everywhere when you pull out the tray. The trays are too shallow to put a decent amount of litter and then accommodate the poo on top. Aaarrgh. No poo trays. I prefer flat surfaces everywhere. No nooks, no crannies, no ditches. Then cover it with bedding/litter and it's easy to sweep out the litter when you need to.

deep exhale

lol.png

@Teila your cook looks AMAZING!!!

Seeing that a lot of you are very chicken savvy I have this question for you: When buying a coop is the poop drawer a must have? Lots of coops on the market have a slatted wooden bottom with cracks between. Is this ok or should I hold out for a poop drawer. Want my chicks to have a clean house, I have enough on my plate and don't want to be constantly cleaning it out.
1f633.png

We are making our own run so only need the coop. If any of you know of any reliable companies please let me know.
Thanks!!!

Don't know why it's posting inside the quote maybe because I'm editing. Hit send too soon.

Research coop threads in BYC, look at different styles and importantly management differences. I understand that the drawer works for Tiela because of her cleaning regime. It certainly wouldn't work for me. Deep litter inside a coop works for some people but may not work for others. Have a look at it all and work out what will work for your location, site, lifestyle, the chooks and the time it's gonna take to manage.

I use a large aviary and a qiqfix fowl house both with deep litter. I also have a couple of coldroom panel boxes. I prefer metal because of maintenance and deep cleaning and foxes. I have to ensure they are located in the shade to manage the heat.

Some people prefer wood for its qualities.

I have a friend who has a coop with absolutely no floor. It consists of a cover and a perch on a stand. The girls enter by jumping up from the ground. Basically you can just put your arms up and grab a chook off a perch. Freaks me because I can see a fox or dog doing the same if it just got into the run.

I'm not sure where you are, I think you said you were in Queensland. Me too. There are some people on gumtree that custom-build good strong ones in steel and wood. You could give them a try when you've worked out what you want.

I hope that helps give you some things to consider. Design is fun.

And don't forget - make it big enough to hold all the chooks you may or may not get.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom