Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi everyone. I hope all are well. Been busy, so I haven’t been on for a bit. Wow heaps of posts to read.

Fpvbill     Hi Welcome  Love the Photo of your daughter and silkies. Silkies are great with kids. My granddaughters love ours. The love a cuddle.

Hens From Aus  Hi    Welcome.  Love the pictures. What a palace and beautiful girls.

Teila I wish my silkie roo would lose his voice. He crows all day.  Though I wonder if he does. Sometimes when  I’m watching he opens his mouth and stretches up and nothing comes out.
I’m so glad you don’t have to go out and bail water anymore. 
I was the same when I saw the photo of Fancy’s horse being clipped.  Goes to show I don’t know anything about horses.
SilkieChickStar What beautiful silkies.

Fizzybelle  Wow a great first egg. She look gorgeous.  I want one too. 

Appps I hope  colonel and winry are doing better now.

cwrite good luck on the exams

If the noise is bothering you you could try a no crow collar, or some Velcro cable tidied. Roohen used to annoy me, but not I can hardly hear him when I'm standing next to him. I'll try and get a pic

Morning, we have a thick fog here but once it lifts there will be blue skies. Spent the day clipping Robin yesterday , unfortunately our vet found that the rather expensive QLD vet missed a cavity in one of dutchys front teeth. :rolleyes: so he has to go on a low sugar diet.
Sad story from the midlands here. A lady that rehabilates off the track horses brought in a horse from the mainland that is carrying herpes. This particular strain is a bit like mareks , it affects them neurologically . The state vets were called in and they had to put 33 horses down.:(
Bio security is hard to enforce with horse carriers , the blood tests for this and other such disease is $1,100 . Can't see many people paying that on top of purchase and freight fees. Just hope our horse didn't travel with the same courier. :rolleyes:

That is heartbreaking news about the horses. I am so sorry to hear that.

Annoying about Dutchys tooth.

If the noise is bothering you you could try a no crow collar, or some Velcro cable tidied. Roohen used to annoy me, but not I can hardly hear him when I'm standing next to him. I'll try and get a pic

The cable tidies

And roohen

There is 2 on him and it took about a month of daily adjustment to get it right.

Last edited:
Fancy -     I too hope the same courier was not used.   I would imagine you have already tried to find out .... so's you can be prepared to pay vet bills and treatment if need be - 

which I sincerely hope will not have to be the case.  

So very sad for the poor woman who lost all her saved horses because of this awful disease.   And I sure hope some Agricultural authority has come down real hard on the person who sold on the original horse with a bad type herpes.  ( EHV1 ? ).   As it can spread so quickly, perhaps it should be mandatory that nasal swabs be taken before any horse travels .... something / anything  to stop this kind of thing happening, although that would not be considered anywhere near 100% assurity.   But it might help ?   

And bio-security is an issue with carriers that should be looked into much much further.

There are symptoms associated with this horrid thing, but ( like us with a cold virus ) ... they don't appear until the incubation period has passed, and the virus is well established. 

Just a thought or two ......  hope all is well in your neck of the woods.  

Cheers .......    

Unfortunately Annie herpes 1 is spread by mucous and saliva , with the only symptoms being a runny nose it can go undetected. There is no vaccine and euthanasia is the only treatment. :( . Interesting thing is that we were told by 2 of the trainers that we have horses from and the state vet is keeping quiet on it, so there is no information available . Our vet rang today to tell us that the whole story was not true. I'm puzzled, why would the lady contact both trainers to inform them of the demise of the horses they sent there. :idunno only time will tell .

Unfortunately Annie herpes 1 is spread by mucous and saliva , with the only symptoms being a runny nose it can go undetected. There is no vaccine and euthanasia is the only treatment. :( . Interesting thing is that we were told by 2 of the trainers that we have horses from and the state vet is keeping quiet on it, so there is no information available . Our vet rang today to tell us that the whole story was not true. I'm puzzled, why would the lady contact both trainers to inform them of the demise of the horses they sent there. :idunno only time will tell .

Fingers crossed its just some sort of insurance scam or such.

And on a lighter note

Unfortunately Annie herpes 1 is spread by mucous and saliva , with the only symptoms being a runny nose it can go undetected. There is no vaccine and euthanasia is the only treatment.
sad.png
. Interesting thing is that we were told by 2 of the trainers that we have horses from and the state vet is keeping quiet on it, so there is no information available . Our vet rang today to tell us that the whole story was not true. I'm puzzled, why would the lady contact both trainers to inform them of the demise of the horses they sent there.
idunno.gif
only time will tell .

That is dreadful Fancy ... I knew that herpes could be a problem with horses, but didn't realise there are so many forms of it. There are apparently 3 of the worst kind. Because of my incessant interest in horses and their welfare - for decades, I googled a lot before answering this. It appears there is in fact a vaccine that can help prevent it - however, it is still in the ' hard basket' to assess it's viability for all equines and for all types of the virus, which to date number 9. Admittedly, my research took me to American sites.

And a person can transmit on their clothing, the virus from one horse to others. How many times have we been covered with slobber from horses, on our clothing ?? I suggested nasal swabs for all travelling horses, because of this very symptom - a runny nose - or about to run nose - swabs under analysis would pick it up quickly - even the very beginnings of it.

There is something ultra-strange about the obvious 'silence' surrounding this situation ( from state vets and who knows who else ). I can't even hazard a guess as to why the lady who had 33 horses put down, advise the trainers of their demise, except that she might be keeping in 'sweet' with them, in order to obtain more off-track thoroughbreds, in the future, to sell on or agist. In any case, I think she would be running a business in keeping non-racing t-breds.

As you said - only time will tell. Knowing how you deal with your chickens and their health, I have no doubt your bio-security in horse stalls is 100% as perfect as you can make it.

I still think bio-security in carriers / couriers of horses ( who can become very stressed during travel, which weakens their immune systems ) .... should be mandatory, and looked at far more closely and seriously, by all concerned.

Cheers ........ ( and back to chickens !!
wink.png
)

Last edited:
Does anyone keep Seabrights? I just saw some pictures and am in love and wanting to know more!

I don't but like you, I would love to. Just googled some pics of them, and they are beautiful chickens. Stand so proudly tall. Gorgeous feathering.

Hope you can find some here in Australia - did not go any further in finding them here --- but - good luck.

Cheers ......

I don't but like you, I would love to.    Just googled some pics of them, and they are beautiful chickens.   Stand so proudly tall.   Gorgeous feathering. 

Hope you can find some here in Australia  - did not go any further in finding them here --- but -  good luck. 

Cheers ...... 

I think there may have been seabright in our last auction here. I'll see if any are at the show here in a few weeks

And so it begins.....raining here now. So who else has their fingers crossed their chook house doesn't flood this weekend?

Edited to add seems the weather bureau is wimping out on trying to predict this one. Forecast just changed to >80mm lol

Last edited:
Good morning folks
frow.gif

Fancy I had typed “that is such a sad story about the horses and also very scary” but then I read your follow up that it may not be true. Very strange! appps may be onto something with the insurance scam idea but it makes you wonder if it would work, I am sure it could easily be disproved?

appps love the comic!

Fizzybelle tee hee, very subtle, not! Lol “I must say though, D’Uccles’s get on well with Pekins”
lau.gif
What about Princesses?
wink.png
Enjoy the uni break.

So, I was laying in bed, listening to the rain at 07:15am, thinking that there would be no rush to take breakfast out to the girls because they would all be in the coop. I peaked out the window and there they all were, in the run, waiting for breakfast!

So far we have had 46mm and the coop and run are dry. The edges of the run are damp where the wind has blown some rain in, but so far so good.

satay are you dancing in the rain?
wink.png

satay is the green circle, we are the yellow:

Back
Top Bottom