Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

I give them some electrolytes when it is so humid and frozen blueberries and watermelon. I'm in a shady spot so they have heaps of areas to hide under. Better than the run. I also water the paths and make sure heaps of water containers around the yard. Not so humid here in Sydney today.

Everyone here got frozen peas in their water for afternoon tea.

I think I will go with the frozen peas in future. The blueberries turned the water purple, it made my son worry a bit till I told I him what it was.
I hope everyone's temps are a bit kinder this week. Ours shouldn't be too bad this week I've heard mid 30's. I can cope with that not the low 40's.
We are going to the Mundijong markets tomorrow, my husband thinks we don't have enough layers. We get at most 6 eggs out of the 20 or so layers. I think hes thinking of ISA browns. Our last ones didn't play well with others. Does anyone have ISA's in with other breeds?

I think I will go with the frozen peas in future. The blueberries turned the water purple, it made my son worry a bit till I told I him what it was.
I hope everyone's temps are a bit kinder this week. Ours shouldn't be too bad this week I've heard mid 30's. I can cope with that not the low 40's.
We are going to the Mundijong markets tomorrow, my husband thinks we don't have enough layers. We get at most 6 eggs out of the 20 or so layers. I think hes thinking of ISA browns. Our last ones didn't play well with others. Does anyone have ISA's in with other breeds?

I would not recommend ISA for anybody. Go astralorp or Rhode Island for good layers.

Years ago we had two isa Browns with one black australorp. They all got on fine together. The isa were very friendly with the kids and I don't remember wishing for more eggs so assume they all laid pretty consistently. We also weren't plagued by the constant broodiness that we suffer from now.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

When I soak the vegetation in their favourite spot my gals run away but they return pretty quickly once the hose has been put away; I believe it really does help to cool them down and they do tend to snooze in the damp spots.

We have a mister on the run but do use it sparingly. Now they free range all day, they are hardly in the run anyways and I believe it was Fancy who warned me about adding to the humidity and creating a haven for unwanted germs.

Fingers crossed that everyone and their feathered friends cope with the heat wave
fl.gif

The girls were fretting up a storm yesterday because of a cane toad hopping around their favourite area. We do not usually see them during the day but this guy did not look long for this world; even though he was hopping, some of his insides were hanging out of his mouth and he looked very dehydrated. As I was trying to coax him out to the front garden and a cool drain he managed to jump right in the middle of the girls .. chickens went in all directions, flapping and squawking
lau.gif

Between cane toads and hissing Rhinoceros Beetles, I am sure my gals have nightmares LOL
wink.png

Even though she will not see it, I am sending out a kudos to my sister. Long story, but she is currently rattling around in a house by herself while her hubby and their dog are living in another state. Anyways, she signed up to foster rescued greyhounds. They were desperate for fosters and she signed up yesterday morning and Freddie arrived yesterday afternoon. Some of the breeders/racers who do not want a dog anymore may contact the rescue and they may only have hours before he is put down .. I have hidden my soap box so I do not prattle on for hours about that one
rant.gif

Anyways, meet Freddie, her first foster. He may be “not fast enough anymore” but he just scored a huge win. Instead of money and a trophy, he just crossed the line to love, cuddles and respect!

On this picture she posted the caption “Yup, this will do. Any chance of a bigger bed? Signed: Freddie”
big_smile.png

love.gif

Even though she will not see it, I am sending out a kudos to my sister. Long story, but she is currently rattling around in a house by herself while her hubby and their dog are living in another state. Anyways, she signed up to foster rescued greyhounds. They were desperate for fosters and she signed up yesterday morning and Freddie arrived yesterday afternoon. Some of the breeders/racers who do not want a dog anymore may contact the rescue and they may only have hours before he is put down .. I have hidden my soap box so I do not prattle on for hours about that one
rant.gif

Anyways, meet Freddie, her first foster. He may be “not fast enough anymore” but he just scored a huge win. Instead of money and a trophy, he just crossed the line to love, cuddles and respect!

On this picture she posted the caption “Yup, this will do. Any chance of a bigger bed? Signed: Freddie”
big_smile.png

love.gif
That's good to see :) The whole greyhound race scene needs to end. Too much cruelty going on sadly.

Nothing much new with me, Ezzie's gone clucky again, barely two weeks break this time. I blame Beatrice for inspiring her, who is no longer broody as she gets over it herself. I've been deciding on my new additions to the flock. I've narrowed it to these breeds: Blue Australorp, Houdan or Polish ( frizzle preferably!) , Seabright and Faverolle (salmon colour). I'm leaning towards an Aussie as my hybrids are 2 years now and will likely be slowing down soon, so another large egg layer would be good, and blue because I have one black chicken already, and the blues are so pretty. I like to have a variety of colours and breeds. Anyone got any pics of their blue Australorps to further convince me of their awesomeness please?

Hope the weather is kind to everyone, summer's going to stick around for a while yet :(

Back
Top Bottom