Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    What are you going to put in there to hatch Sam? You don't have a roo do you. Welcome to the addicting world of chick hatching :) I was going to say I wont enable you but we all know that's not true :p :lol:

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Hi Guys, had to share these guys as they are just the cutest yet most ridiculous things. My sister has just been given these two fantail doves and I went up today to see them for the first time. They walk around like this the whole time. Only way they know where their perch is is they bump into it with their tummies. I think they would be bigger time wasters to watch than the chooks LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sandstorm495

Sandstorm495 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Darwin, Australia
    Fantail doves are known for being able to contort their body into different poses.

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Well contort they do lol Did a little video of them too to show the family. I love the way they walk round with no heads :) The guy she got them off is a very successful show breeder so this would be the most extreme version they breed I guess.

We had visions of a dove cote in the yard eventually but these things cant even cope with a perch and need a block of wood on the ground. no way they could fly up to a dove cote.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Thanks satay. Have all those things handy around here. I am growing kale and bok choy in the garden. Got broccoli in crisper and if the kids haven't eaten it all, greek yoghurt. Sorry for my rant. It just upset me a lot. You are right you can't get everyone to understand that all animals should have equal commitment, depending on their needs.
    I went outside a little while ago and my BSL Pepper isn't looking to well. Her comb has little whitish spots and she is plumped up and not her usual self.
    She laid an egg around 6am this morning and I notice a little wet poo on it. That also was unusual for her. Will keep an eye on her and see how she goes and if she is no better tomorrow. A trip to the Vet might be in order. I wormed them all two days ago, could that have made her feel ill?

6. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Lovely birds appps. We have wild fantails that come and visit us. Sweet, gental birds. I hate how the indian minors pick on them. The chickens hate the minors too and chase them, but don't chase the fantails.

7. IamSamSam

IamSamSam Chillin' With My Peeps

Lol yeah no use in pretending. ;) hubby likes the barred rocks and light Sussex I want aru's I saw legbars too recently. To many to choose from !

8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Get them all then :)

9. SydneyChickens

SydneyChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    I'm ready to cry! 26 week old RIR is not laying yet, 1 year old Plymouth not laying, 24 week old Australorp not laying.. House is fine, cleaned daily, my silkie lays daily but no one else [​IMG]

Ok had my little rant..

10. IamSamSam

IamSamSam Chillin' With My Peeps

Lol Yeah your definitely mot an enabler! I think Sussex to start off. As a test run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by