Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Wow a six yolker, you probably should have rang the Guinness book of records.
ep.gif

I've lost 2 x isa browns to egg binding and it's an awful way to go. It's not uncommon to get doubles in hybrid breeds, after all they are genetically engineered "egg machines " . I saved old " red, " by warm bathing her several times and doing the cloacal exam. She's about 8 years old now. She's a tough old bird.
So Isa Browns are known for it? hmmm Cause that is what Lulu is, Lucy is a RIR and never had any issues from her.

The shell grit I use is mostly oyster shell.
They also get scrambled eggs with crushed shell in it every couple of days.
Is there anything else I can add from the pantry to bring up the calcium more?
I don't have calcium powder, but I have calcium vitamins, Would they help?
I am trying to put it down to new layer teething problems.
Pepper our BSL is a steady little layer now and her egg shells are perfect.
When she has laid those sqooshy eggs, she seems upset. Then she pops it out and eats it straight away.
She never eats eggs with shells on.
Is she trying to get rid of the evidence, I wonder?
Just plain weird how they would eat something that comes out their own bottom like that.
lau.gif

Satay Satay ! I'm over excited. . . I have an incubator ! It's coming. Looks like an rcom but isn't. Hubby got it for me. And I have a brooder to buy next and I absolutely can not wait.
Two years and wore him down so so happy ! I am hoping to have Christmas chicks!

Yah :ya :weee

Last edited:
I am going to have a rant.
somad.gif

I have been searching all over the internet for fertile king quail eggs.
I keep stumbling over these parrot sites, that keep reviewing the king quail as an aviary cleaner. GRRRRRR
he.gif

I have corrected them as much as I could, but just their attitude about quail in general was horrible and verged somewhere between neglect and plane out abuse.
Their so called information about king quails, was un-researched and totally incorrect.
This was all on parrot sites, never on finch or other sites.
Are there really that many parrot owners out there in Australia, that think its okay to neglect or even hurt other species of birds that are not parrots?
I was just astounded how many idiots there are out there.
I breed canaries and I consider my king quail as equals to my canaries. Each species with their own special needs and requirements, but as equally important.
And then there are the chooks and the cat, who think they are the king and queens of our place.

I am going to have a rant. :mad:
I have been searching all over the internet for fertile king quail eggs.
I keep stumbling over these parrot sites, that keep reviewing the king quail as an aviary cleaner. GRRRRRR :he
I have corrected them as much as I could, but just their attitude about quail in general was horrible and verged somewhere between neglect and plane out abuse.
Their so called information about king quails, was un-researched and totally incorrect.
This was all on parrot sites, never on finch or other sites.
Are there really that many parrot owners out there in Australia, that think its okay to neglect or even hurt other species of birds that are not parrots?
I was just astounded how many idiots there are out there.
I breed canaries and I consider my king quail as equals to my canaries. Each species with their own special needs and requirements, but as equally important.
And then there are the chooks and the cat, who think they are the king and queens of our place.

Some people do indeed think they are just used as cage cleaners. I am not sure you would every be able to change their minds. I have told many a person that bought jap quails off me that they should be not house with chickens. Some think i am crazy saying that and their really is nothing else i can do but to offer my opinion and what they do after that is up to them. My quails only get the best too but so does every other animal here including my elderly cat that has a special feed designed just for his age. I am a parrot owner too so we are not all uneducated thankfully :)

Last edited:
The shell grit I use is mostly oyster shell.
They also get scrambled eggs with crushed shell in it every couple of days.
Is there anything else I can add from the pantry to bring up the calcium more?
I don't have calcium powder, but I have calcium vitamins, Would they help?
I am trying to put it down to new layer teething problems.
Pepper our BSL is a steady little layer now and her egg shells are perfect.
When she has laid those sqooshy eggs, she seems upset. Then she pops it out and eats it straight away.
She never eats eggs with shells on.
Is she trying to get rid of the evidence, I wonder?
Just plain weird how they would eat something that comes out their own bottom like that.:lau

I think broccoli is good for calcium or absorbing it, you could try kale and bok choy too. Also try some plain greek yoghurt if you have any laying about., If you can pick some up cheap might be worth a try.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom