Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

One of the many reasons why I don't get on here much, At least the 2 hourly feeds have gone :)
    She has finally hit 6 weeks old. A bit of a handful.
    The blue pot behind her is only 15cm tall, giving you an idea of how tiny she is lol
    [​IMG]

2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Hey sandee, I have a gold laced Wyandotte that lays monster eggs, even had a few triple Yolkers . The eggs are of course no good for incubating but great in a cake.

3. SandeeC

Oh wow, triple yolker? gees
    My 11 yr old goes "Mum put that one in the incubator" lol told him it wouldn't be any good.
    Plus, Knowing my luck I'd get a turkey haha

4. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    No good for incubating, it won't end well. I would imagine that my hen is also at a higher risk of egg binding, simply because of the size of those things.

5. SandeeC

Yeah that was one thing I am worried about. I know Lulu laid it, was concerned of one getting stuck :(

6. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Triple yolker wow! I use to have a leghorn that would lay monster eggs everyday and never egg bind. Once we had a 6 yolker. I would give her eggs to family and friends. They were amazed how many yolks were in those eggs. Sometimes she would lay 2 a day. She was an amazing chicken.

7. SandeeC

6 yolks? OMG
    I would only have to use 1 egg to make 2 batches of my fettucine :)

8. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Poo!!! found another shelless egg, pecked at. I don't know if it's from Omelette or not. Our RIR Chilli, has been acting like she is going to lay soon and maybe its from her?
    They have a huge bowl of shell grit in their coop that they peck at all the time, so I don't think its a lack of calcium. Does anyone know why a chicken may be laying so many shelless eggs?
    Is there something I can do to stop this?
    So weird.
    I have had older canaries do this when they come to the end of their laying life.
    I have never had a quail do this either.
    It's bizarre.

9. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Wow a six yolker, you probably should have rang the Guinness book of records. :eek:
    I've lost 2 x isa browns to egg binding and it's an awful way to go. It's not uncommon to get doubles in hybrid breeds, after all they are genetically engineered "egg machines " . I saved old " red, " by warm bathing her several times and doing the cloacal exam. She's about 8 years old now. She's a tough old bird.
    [​IMG]

10. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    If they are her first eggs it's common to have " teething " problems. Grit is to help in digestion. You need oyster shell or calcium carbonate for calcium deficiency
    ( soft shells ).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by