Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi everyone :)

I was wondering if anyone might be able to offer me some advice on chicken coops in Australia. I'm interested in definitely having chickens and guinea fowl (and perhaps ducks and geese) and, if I can swing it, having them all live together. They would free range in a paddock in the day, but at night they'd need a good amount of space in the coop - especially considering the mixing of species. I'd want to ensure everybody had plenty of space and as few reasons to fight as possible.

However, the focus on coops always seems to be on how to build them... which sounds to me like flying to Mars! I'm not sure I've ever even picked up a hammer in my life before, and in general I'm terrible at doing anything with my hands. My girlfriend isn't either, and I don't know anyone who is.

So that means our only option is to buy a coop. However, the only coops I can find available in Australia are all so small! That's bad not only because it limits our possible numbers, it doesn't bode well if we want to have some bigger birds (e.g. geese) as well. The biggest one I've found available in Australia so far is this one:http://www.backyardchickencoops.com.au/the-mansion-chicken-coop-pc-13.php

Although that one is nice, I just wish there was a way to get something bigger. I look on YouTube/BYC and other sites and see such amazing, large, roomy coops and think "yes, like THAT!". But those are always self-built, and for us that ain't ever gonna happen. :(

Is there anywhere bigger coops can be bought, someplace I'm missing? I know I could just put them in a huge shed rather cheaply, but that wouldn't have all the features (nesting boxes, run etc) that I'd like. Is there anyone that sells really big, roomy coops?

I know a few people out here that use rather large bird avairies. I am not sure where you live but you could pick out something and get a quote from a carpenter to build one for you or even better if you had a tafe near by stop in see if an apprentice wants to build you one for some cash. Remember the birds don't care if it looks flash or not as long as it keeps them safe from predators.

Oh my goodness! Where can i find it?!.. You guys have all been so awesome thank you so much! I'm not one who likes replacing a lost pet or animal with another one so soon after but today my dad came home with a new little Pekin bantam, he took the cockerel back for me and we weren't going to get another but dad thought it would cheer me up.. It did lol although i feel terribly guilty this new little Pekin named "Juniper, Berry" is seriously the prettiest, sweetest little pullet we've had yet, she's just gorgeous and adores being nursed so today i sat in the sun and had chicken cuddles with Juniper and Wilma my Australorp who's more like a dog, while we remembered Penelope. Not the greatest pics but meet Juniper :)
Omg Sydney she is beautiful :) I am a huge fan of pekins and she is a stunner.:love

Well crap crap crap. Tuppence with the torn comb hasnt come out of the coop this morning. Even when I put the scraps out and the others all came running she just stayed sitting on the roost watching me.

She has been hanging out in the nesting box so Id thought she had gone broody. Now wondering if its something more as Ive opened the nesting box door and she is still just sitting on the roost.

Ideas?

For those that sells eggs for hatching. Ever had one of those weeks.. Eggs sale for quails have been a bit slow of late but on the weekend i got hit with heaps of orders.(7 dozen are off express post to NSW today) I spaced them out so that i would have more than enough time to fill the order for each person. 1 of the orders is going just over the border into nsw.(a special order for a man and the only time and way he can get them) It is travelling through a few hands to get there and the order has to leave here by 4 am Thursday morning,( this is a travel by car order not post) Well my darn quails have dropped off laying just yesterday and have halved their laying,so fingers crossed they keep up enough to fill this order.

Well crap crap crap.  Tuppence with the torn comb hasnt come out of the coop this morning.  Even when I put the scraps out and the others all came running she just stayed sitting on the roost watching me.

She has been hanging out in the nesting box so Id thought she had gone broody.  Now wondering if its something more as Ive opened the nesting box door and she is still just sitting on the roost.

Ideas?

Could she have an infection Appps? Do you have a pic of her comb. I was thinking wow appps is keen letting the chooks out so early then i remember we are an 1 hour behind you now .

Oh my goodness! Where can i find it?!.. You guys have all been so awesome thank you so much! I'm not one who likes replacing a lost pet or animal with another one so soon after but today my dad came home with a new little Pekin bantam, he took the cockerel back for me and we weren't going to get another but dad thought it would cheer me up.. It did lol although i feel terribly guilty this new little Pekin named "Juniper, Berry" is seriously the prettiest, sweetest little pullet we've had yet, she's just gorgeous and adores being nursed so today i sat in the sun and had chicken cuddles with Juniper and Wilma my Australorp who's more like a dog, while we remembered Penelope. Not the greatest pics but meet Juniper :)
Gorgeous and don't feel guilty at caring for others so soon. Shows a caring gentle spirit

Must have been the night for not sleeping lol I was wide awake at 3am yet again, so thought might as well get up too :)
Apps sounds like she might have an infection, you know yourself if you have one you are lethargic :(
Hope she gets a spring back in her feet soon :)

Apps. She may not feel safe outside if she is unwell. Has there been any improvement on the comb? If its still black I'd take her to a vet as it could cause blood poisoning if its bad pics would help. I would think that if its a high blood volume area and blood is running to that area then back threw her system it will carry infection back into her body and make her feel sick as it would with us. I'd give oral antibiotic as well as spray the area at a minimum

For those that sells eggs for hatching. Ever had one of those weeks.. Eggs sale for quails have been a bit slow of late but on the weekend i got hit with heaps of orders.(7 dozen are off express post to NSW today) I spaced them out so that i would have more than enough time to fill the order for each person. 1 of the orders is going just over the border into nsw.(a special order for a man and the only time and way he can get them) It is travelling through a few hands to get there and the order has to leave here by 4 am Thursday morning,( this is a travel by car order not post) Well my darn quails have dropped off laying just yesterday and have halved their laying,so fingers crossed they keep up enough to fill this order.

I know exactly how you feel. Just sent 3 dozen to work with my hubby, and organizing a lift to launceston this morning. I have 4 people waiting, then a lady contacted me on Sunday desperate for some eggs to put under her broody. I have had an egg a day from each of them, then this week production has dropped to half. :he

Back
Top Bottom