Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I know a few people out here that use rather large bird avairies. I am not sure where you live but you could pick out something and get a quote from a carpenter to build one for you or even better if you had a tafe near by stop in see if an apprentice wants to build you one for some cash. Remember the birds don't care if it looks flash or not as long as it keeps them safe from predators.

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Omg Sydney she is beautiful :) I am a huge fan of pekins and she is a stunner.:love

3. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Well crap crap crap. Tuppence with the torn comb hasnt come out of the coop this morning. Even when I put the scraps out and the others all came running she just stayed sitting on the roost watching me.

She has been hanging out in the nesting box so Id thought she had gone broody. Now wondering if its something more as Ive opened the nesting box door and she is still just sitting on the roost.

Ideas?

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    For those that sells eggs for hatching. Ever had one of those weeks.. Eggs sale for quails have been a bit slow of late but on the weekend i got hit with heaps of orders.(7 dozen are off express post to NSW today) I spaced them out so that i would have more than enough time to fill the order for each person. 1 of the orders is going just over the border into nsw.(a special order for a man and the only time and way he can get them) It is travelling through a few hands to get there and the order has to leave here by 4 am Thursday morning,( this is a travel by car order not post) Well my darn quails have dropped off laying just yesterday and have halved their laying,so fingers crossed they keep up enough to fill this order.

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Could she have an infection Appps? Do you have a pic of her comb. I was thinking wow appps is keen letting the chooks out so early then i remember we are an 1 hour behind you now .

6. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Lol well I am early today anyway. Couldn't sleep last night so was up at sparrows fart.

7. IamSamSam

IamSamSam Chillin' With My Peeps

Gorgeous and don't feel guilty at caring for others so soon. Shows a caring gentle spirit

8. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

Must have been the night for not sleeping lol I was wide awake at 3am yet again, so thought might as well get up too :)
    Apps sounds like she might have an infection, you know yourself if you have one you are lethargic :(
    Hope she gets a spring back in her feet soon :)

9. IamSamSam

IamSamSam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apps. She may not feel safe outside if she is unwell. Has there been any improvement on the comb? If its still black I'd take her to a vet as it could cause blood poisoning if its bad pics would help. I would think that if its a high blood volume area and blood is running to that area then back threw her system it will carry infection back into her body and make her feel sick as it would with us. I'd give oral antibiotic as well as spray the area at a minimum

10. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I know exactly how you feel. Just sent 3 dozen to work with my hubby, and organizing a lift to launceston this morning. I have 4 people waiting, then a lady contacted me on Sunday desperate for some eggs to put under her broody. I have had an egg a day from each of them, then this week production has dropped to half. :he

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by