Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Gosh that's a bad nights sleep Sandee.

2. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah just way too much on my mind at the moment, this end of year paper for Uni is not helping lol
    Oh well, might take time out to go outside today and finish off the chickies new coop :) See if that helps me sleep tonight :)
    Will try and get some pics of them today too :) They have grown so much :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    It's not just me then. Must be something in the air.

4. Ashburnham

Ashburnham Chillin' With My Peeps

You will find it is much easier and cheaper to adapt a garden shed to a chicken house. The purpose built chook houses are all too small and too expensive.
    (Never build anything you cant stand upright in)

xxxx M

1 person likes this.
  5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    This is my marans tractor. It currently has 10 marans in it but it is only for night sleeping as they freerange during the day.

The whole of the front opens up so they can go out in the mornings and is padlocked at night. It is light enough for me to just move along.,
    The roof is just all old piece of garden shed that was left here when we moved here and there is a door on the top of the tactor that opens up so you can collect eggs when they start to lay.

6. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    [​IMG]
    Can you spot the sizzle lol.

[​IMG]
    Sizzie the sizzle has put her nest in the scrap metal pile my hubby has beside the shed. A neighbour has a scrap business and comes to collect it every few months. This is her second week of sitting that i know of but she may have been there longer.

7. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Okay so here are a couple of photos of the comb. You can see where the dark piece dangling down used to be above the red bit of comb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really cant decide if she is sick though or broody. She has moved back into the nesting box and is growling at everyone who comes near.

Really dont need a trip to the vet today, gotta fit an hour round trip to pick up some doves Im babysitting as well today, then fit the cup in too!

1 person likes this.
  8. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Personally I wouldn't worry too much if you think she's broody. It's certainly no worse than my hens injury. The dead tissue may fall off. If you don't have any Terramycin spray can you get your hands on some antiseptic spray , we always have cetrigen ( purple ) spray in the horse first aid box.

9. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    You can spray betadine spray on the comb if you are worried appps. My guess would be she is broody.

10. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Thanks guys. I'm hoping its just broodiness too. It doesn't look swollen or anything so think I will just keep an eye on it for now.

Can I strangle hubby though? He tells me today that on Saturday when he was at a mates house he went to look at a sick chook he had. Apparently the neck was laying back and it had discharge oozing. He washed his hands but then would have worn the same shoes to go in and lock our chooks up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by