Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

An adapted garden shed would probably be great actually. The problem again is the 'adapt' part. :) I cannot build, modify or adapt things. When I move to my acreage I'm running on the assumption that every little thing will have to be 100% purchased, expensive as it may end up being. I get the feeling I'm alone in that sense, because of the non-availability of big roomy coops and the fact that, when I browse around online, it seems like eeeeeveryone's building or adapting their own. :) I suppose I could download some instructions and try, but it would probably be a total unmitigated disaster. Would probably hit myself in the head with some tool and end up in hospital.
gig.gif
Also I would not trust my own (inevitably) shoddy work to keep the chickens safe - which is the main thing in the end.

I had a look at Bunnings' metal aviaries the other day. They do class them as chicken coops too, but I get the feeling they wouldn't make that great of a coop. Most of the space is vertical space, as that's what works for an aviary. Vertical space would be nice for having a lot of perches, but the ground space in them is quite small. That's a concern not just for chickens in general, but it also would be a concern if I wanted to have ducks, geese or any other birds that sleep on the ground.

I'll see if I can look up the sheds you mentioned, thanks. :)
Nonsense- Buy yourself a book about basic carpentry. It's just a matter of measuring cutting and screwing together. Basic power tools are incredibly cheap these days. You only really need a tape measure, a power drill/screwdriver and a circular saw.

Okay guys just cause I can't bear to watch it lifting its feet up any longer I'm going to treat that' roosters scaley leg mites you guys spotted a while back with some ivermectin I've got here. Apparently it is good for severe cases and this is real bad.

I can treat it but not the hens because of the withholding period and him not laying eggs obviously. Figure if it shows signs of working I might convince owner to go eggless for couple of weeks and treat them all because its easier than coating their feet.

My problem lays in how much would a rooster weigh? He reminds me of a leghorn. Its dosed by weight and I won't be able to weigh him. Going to put it on some bread and feed to him.

Ideas of weight?

Last edited:
Okay guys just cause I can't bear to watch it lifting its feet up any longer I'm going to treat that' roosters scaley leg mites you guys spotted a while back with some ivermectin I've got here. Apparently it is good for severe cases and this is real bad.

I can treat it but not the hens because of the withholding period and him not laying eggs obviously. Figure if it shows signs of working I might convince owner to go eggless for couple of weeks and treat them all because its easier than coating their feet.

My problem lays in how much would a rooster weigh? He reminds me of a leghorn. Its dosed by weight and I won't be able to weigh him. Going to put it on some bread and feed to him.

Ideas of weight?

Depends what kind of ivermectin you have , the pour on is 5 ml at the back of the neck. The horse paste is a pea size orally.

Depends what kind of ivermectin you have , the pour on is 5 ml at the back of the neck. The horse paste is a pea size orally.

Its a clear liquid the vet gave us a while back and they said to give orally or on back of neck and think from memory ( it says on the bottle though) .25ml per kg of body weight. So need to estimate body weight for the dose.

My favs at about 5 months were just on a kg so wondering if i just give the .25ml

Last edited:

Can you spot the sizzle lol.

Sizzie the sizzle has put her nest in the scrap metal pile my hubby has beside the shed. A neighbour has a scrap business and comes to collect it every few months. This is her second week of sitting that i know of but she may have been there longer.

Just the one hiding babies from you Satay? Lol you seem to have more usually ! ROFL

It's kind of embarrassing because I am the hubby (or at least, will soon be!) and when we chat about this stuff with other people IRL, everyone just assumes I'm going to be handy at building stuff. :) My girlfriend has no experience with building either, but she's very good at making things with her hands (unlike me) so she'd probably take to it more naturally herself. The only thing I ever made was a CD tower in year 9, and it was crooked and I didn't make it wide enough for CDs to actually fit in. :gig I am a university lecturer, all I know how to do is read books and blather on about them!

Thanks for the suggestions (in that post and the previous) though. It sounds like my best option is to find somebody to do the building/adapting for me, and bribe them with eggs.

Lol my hubby is a city boy who is not handy. But he has a go. I have never had to build anything dad use to do it. But. Look at my pallet coop if you click on my profile then galleries you can see progress shots. Not pretty but solid and keeps them safe.

Back
Top Bottom