Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Got some pics this morning of " chicken little ".[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And the newest additions to inlet farm.

2. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Very cool shots!

As for the brooder heat, I have two, one is a K Mart $10 lamp with a $10 ceramic heat globe (75W) I got the globe from the breeder. It has not blown yet and we have raised three lots of chicks with it.

The second one we have is a reptile heat lamp holder (does not come with a globe) from a pet store, then I just screwed in another ceramic heat globe from our breeder (100W) The clamps can be raised and lowered to adjust temps, but the lamp was nearly $50

They are great I think, the biggest downfall being as Lisa says, you have to be near them to know if they are on or not.

3. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I have a ceramic one now, but mine are 4 weeks old. I still find myself putting my hand in to check that it's on. Mine is only 60 w , cause my hubby a stingy old bugger and power is very expensive in Tasmania . I found that some of the shops are selling a red bulb for about $8 , they are the ones to avoid.

4. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I decided to go for a drive around my little valley and take some pics of coops. There is something for everyone.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More to come!

5. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Some great idea's in there. I think if I was to start over for a backyard I would go the kids cubby house conversion. I love that idea.

If it was for breeding it would be different again.

6. Zeno

Zeno New Egg

Nov 1, 2013
    Thanks for the advice - but nevertheless, I'm a mid-20s Sydneysider and you may as well have just told me to get a book on basic rocket science or brain surgery. [​IMG] At my old job I worked in robotics, developing genetic algorithms to gradually approximate the fastest walking speed between rescue robots and targets based upon artificial vision processing. Probably the trickiest thing I've worked on, but I still find that way, way less scary than hammering pieces of wood into the shape of a chicken coop. Circular saws are those spinning blade things, right? Holy cow, you wouldn't be able to get me near one of those scary things. I really don't know much about tools, and would immediately lose fingers. Or worse, I'd lose one of my heads and have to grow a new one (... I don't know much about anatomy either [​IMG] ).

Anyway, everyone is good at different things, and anything can seem easy to someone who's done it a bit before. It makes more sense, to me, to work hard at what I'm actually good at and save the money to pay someone else (someone experienced) to handle the coop-building. Or to just outright buy a coop. It surprises me that there aren't any companies selling big, roomy, quality pre-built coops aimed precisely at the market of 20-somethings who don't know anything about building stuff. Sounds like a really cool business idea actually...

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  7. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    You really do live in a little slice of heaven there fancy. I love wisteria too and my green grass envy is out again. My mum rang me yesterday all excited as she is going to Tassie in Feb..

8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Beautiful.fancy every time I read the name of your farm all I can think of is the show where the guy from Tassie lives at fat pig farm lol.

9. SydneyChickens

SydneyChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Awesome advice thanx guys! I might get a chain and get dad to build in a light fixture into the box.. The box is in doors and the room gets pretty warm during the day so the box will be big enough for them to get around for heat and cool

10. SydneyChickens

SydneyChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Fancy she's so beautiful!.. My dads a photographer he loves your pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by