Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Daniella, aka Sydney , when you feel like smiling again, have a read of my " chicken little the bravest little chicken alive " story. I think you will like it.
263a.png

Oh my goodness! Where can i find it?!..

You guys have all been so awesome thank you so much! I'm not one who likes replacing a lost pet or animal with another one so soon after but today my dad came home with a new little Pekin bantam, he took the cockerel back for me and we weren't going to get another but dad thought it would cheer me up.. It did lol although i feel terribly guilty this new little Pekin named "Juniper, Berry" is seriously the prettiest, sweetest little pullet we've had yet, she's just gorgeous and adores being nursed so today i sat in the sun and had chicken cuddles with Juniper and Wilma my Australorp who's more like a dog, while we remembered Penelope.

Not the greatest pics but meet Juniper
smile.png

Oh my goodness! Where can i find it?!.. You guys have all been so awesome thank you so much! I'm not one who likes replacing a lost pet or animal with another one so soon after but today my dad came home with a new little Pekin bantam, he took the cockerel back for me and we weren't going to get another but dad thought it would cheer me up.. It did lol although i feel terribly guilty this new little Pekin named "Juniper, Berry" is seriously the prettiest, sweetest little pullet we've had yet, she's just gorgeous and adores being nursed so today i sat in the sun and had chicken cuddles with Juniper and Wilma my Australorp who's more like a dog, while we remembered Penelope. Not the greatest pics but meet Juniper :) She looks like a
1f499.png
stealer. Good job dad. Just type in chicken little the bravest little chicken , in the search bar at the top of the page. Enjoy.

My French Marans, Penelope Pussycat passed away over night :'( it's the first chicken I've lost and I don't know why she passed she was so healthy and no signs of anything wrong.. This is a horrible feeling and not sure on hatching chicks cause I just hate to see them go :( I guess I gotta try get more used to life and death concept a bit better even though I know no one ever really is ok with it

oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. It'll be ok. It does get easier, and then you find yourself feeling guilty for it being easier but don't. it's just something we have to do since we live so much longer than they do. We love them and give them the best care we can and that's what to remember. It gets easier to say goodbye to hatched chicks too. Just sell them before you get attached :)

Hi everyone :)

I was wondering if anyone might be able to offer me some advice on chicken coops in Australia. I'm interested in definitely having chickens and guinea fowl (and perhaps ducks and geese) and, if I can swing it, having them all live together. They would free range in a paddock in the day, but at night they'd need a good amount of space in the coop - especially considering the mixing of species. I'd want to ensure everybody had plenty of space and as few reasons to fight as possible.

However, the focus on coops always seems to be on how to build them... which sounds to me like flying to Mars! I'm not sure I've ever even picked up a hammer in my life before, and in general I'm terrible at doing anything with my hands. My girlfriend isn't either, and I don't know anyone who is.

So that means our only option is to buy a coop. However, the only coops I can find available in Australia are all so small! That's bad not only because it limits our possible numbers, it doesn't bode well if we want to have some bigger birds (e.g. geese) as well. The biggest one I've found available in Australia so far is this one:http://www.backyardchickencoops.com.au/the-mansion-chicken-coop-pc-13.php

Although that one is nice, I just wish there was a way to get something bigger. I look on YouTube/BYC and other sites and see such amazing, large, roomy coops and think "yes, like THAT!". But those are always self-built, and for us that ain't ever gonna happen.
sad.png

Is there anywhere bigger coops can be bought, someplace I'm missing? I know I could just put them in a huge shed rather cheaply, but that wouldn't have all the features (nesting boxes, run etc) that I'd like. Is there anyone that sells really big, roomy coops?

Last edited:
The coops like you linked to are good for your chicks but not much else. We bought a similar one off ebay and it was supposed to hold three hens on a little roost and then had a double nesting box. Basically looks same as that one but the run was smaller. In reality though ive taken out the roost and the diveder in the nesting box and the combined coop and nesting box area made a good nesting box that fits 3 hens. No way in a million years could you have fit three chooks in there on the little roost area to sleep as it advertised They also arent real fox proof in the flesh. I never even liked to leave my chooks in it of a day if i wasnt home. Our would have only needed one good push to knoch it over. So save your money.

bunnings sell metal avairies which they also class as chicken coops so that may be a better option if you arent building. Or you could also contact your local mens shed if you have those near you. They are always happy to have a project and are pretty offordable if you buy the materials. They built our school quite a few things.

As for mixing flocks no idea on that one im afraid.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom