Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I have seen many types of conversion. Even a bedside table with timber insert in door replaced with bird wire. Try googling brooder box for ideas. An old meat safe would be ideal.

2. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

I have made a few brooders, what I thought would be big enough simply was not....quite quickly lol.

First was two dresser table draws (KMart desk lamp and ceramic globe)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For a small hatch it was fine for a couple of weeks, but we wanted to hatch more, and needed more space. So I made the splash brooder. Adjustable repltile heat lamp, with ceramic globe fitted. paint applied by kids with squirt bottles!

[​IMG]
    (Light was ust for pics, ceramic went in after.
    [​IMG]

Then things kind of got out of control with chicken math in our place and we needed bigger again, call in the curb side collected and converted wardrobe, aka 'Frankenbrooder'
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I scrapped the two draw brooder, and put the same heat lamp into one end of this one. Now we use the splash brooder until a week or two old then they move out of my home office and into the Frankenbrooder, they are then on natural light, heat gets turned on depending on age and ambient temps.

I have only ever had one chick die, and that was two days ago in the care of a new broody.

2 people like this.
  3. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Bens examples are great. It's not until you've had a few hatches that you are fully aware of the requirements. Depending on the number of chicks you want to raise and the space you have available . I have mine in the laundry but it still locks up just in case the kids let the cats in .

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    When we bought our frizzles that's where they were. They had a tarp down on the floor they took out to clean it and the chicks just had the run of about 80% of the laundry floor.

Oh and morning brain just clicked in and realised you meant brooder in the laundry not chicks duh

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  5. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Yeah my hubby would have " pink kittens " if I had them roaming around the laundry .

6. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    [​IMG]
    There you go rexy :)

1 person likes this.
  7. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    [​IMG]

8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    :lau So would mine fancy.

9. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    [​IMG]
    and at the front with her head down is my blue that laid her first egg. A rather large bamboo plant made taking pics of these yesterday quite interesting .

10. TheChookPatch

TheChookPatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    Looking fantastic Satay :) Nice looking boy there too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by