Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    Hey guys :)
    Yikes, 20+ Pages? Y'all have been busy! I'm afraid it's a bit much to catch up on but how are you all? How are the chooks?

I'm overrun at the moment :p I still have Booker, my baby :) and purple the trouble making Araucana, the marans [​IMG][​IMG] and princess emiko [​IMG] she's only two weeks younger than the others but still so little and peeping. Then there's that little mystery roo that was supposed to be a Yokohama [​IMG] we're holding on to him for a little longer to see how he grows out and we just got him some bantams australorpes to keep him company and hopefully make him easier to sell since they'd be a trio. [​IMG] I don't know anything About the breed but I'm pretty impressed with them :) great beetle sheen and big eggs, bigger than my aras. Oh and the babies of course, five of Booker and giraffes, three barred, two white. I'm hoping to keep one of each.

I was originally only going to have two lol

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia

Hi Pinky. Good to see you back. Your birds are looking great. I don't have bantam aussies but i have standards and they are some of my favourites here. Infact they are the ones I have most of. Great natured birds and lay like troopers. I have 2 roos as well which are lovely gentle boys.

3. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought blue and lavender were two different genes (even though they look similar in actual colour)

For example, 2 lavenders produce lavender, where two blues will split between splash and blue. If that is correct, a blue silkie would be different to a lav one, lave being the harder one to breed?

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Yes, that is my understanding of it Ben. But unless you know the breed history of a bird, it may be a light blue not a lavender and therefore would not breed true.
    If that makes any sense. Blue can be diluted and may vary from a very light blue to almost black. All of my partridge Silkie have the blue gene.

5. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    9 days old and in jail lol
    Hard to believe they are going to be so small, they are growing so quickly :( They love the perch in there, hop straight up on it to roost :)
    Huge storm developing so they are in lock up with my mastweiller for the night :)
    Sorry I haven't been on much guys, been so hectic, a friend of mine is in hospital with her second broken hip and I have been spring cleaning her house to get it ready for her to come home :) Hopefully next week :) Then I can hopefully get some me time back again. Still have to finish these guys coop off yet

6. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Positive thoughts for your friend! My mum broke hers two years ago and she is still suffering. Make sure your friend watches they sterilise their hands! Mum brought home a super bad staph infection because the hospital didnt have much care for that sort of thing.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  7. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Found out today that the second dove we were babysitting also died :-( Id given her back to the breeder because I didnt want her to be alone till January and ran in to him today and he said she had passed away as well a few days later from what looked like a respitory infection. So he said it would be what killed both of them.

Havent told my sister yet, will let him be the bearer of bad news this time.

Im surprised though, they were inside for a good 3 or 4 weeks here before they died. How would they have caught it?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  8. SydneyChickens

SydneyChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Hehehe did everyone see the news today.. Egg shortage!? Hmmm not here at my place!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Lol D. No shortage here either.

10. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

She broke her first one in July :( Now this one, her jack russell is the problem :( he has now been rehomed. As I told her, he is gonna break her back or neck next :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by