Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. SandeeC

SandeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

I only have an egg shortage till my babies start laying :) woohoo :) 2 eggs a day is heaps for us, but not for the local take away as well :(

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    What egg shortage? Is that because of all the chooks put down with the bird flu thing a while back?

3. SydneyChickens

SydneyChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Yeah actually I shouldn't be using the egg shortage as a punch line.. Just read the full article.. They had started by saying there was an egg shortage with Christmas coming up, I thought because everyone was buying up for cooking but read a lil further and so sad for the farmers and the chooks it's because around 400,000 had to be culled :( not good for anyone..

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Gosh I hope your friend is better soon. Did she keep tripping over the dog?

5. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I ended up googling and yeah it was due to the outbreak. Did you read the bit where they said it could take 12 months to get back to their 450,000 flock as they normally stagger hatch 50,000 chicks per month. Wow, hard to even imagine hatching at that scale.

And did you realise how many eggs get produced in just nsw each week?

‘‘The comfort level for eggs in NSW is about 1.4 million dozen to fill the cool rooms at the end of the week. We are well under that now, down about 15 per cent,’’ Mr Burke said.

Wow that's a lot of chooks!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  6. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Maybe the stress of being moved? I don't really know appps I am clutching at straws here. Guess it would depend how long your sister had them before she gave them to you to mind. Could have been something the breeders flock had. Either way appps I am sure it was nothing you did just one of those things. My older brother who has a disability was minding my younger brothers house and prized Oscar fish while he went on his honeymoon to Europe. The fish died and older brother was terrified of telling younger brother. (it was just belly up one morning) Turns out when he did younger brother said oh well it happens. He wasn't anywhere near as stressed as older brother thought he might be. Hope you sister is the same.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  7. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    She was upset the other died but not at me. You can't help wondering if you did something wrong so in a way it was a relief to find out it was a respitory infection and nothing i did and that the other one died despite being back with the expert so sort of feel a bit absolved of guilt lol

Still strange they caught it inside or that it took so long to affect them if they caught it before I brought them home.

8. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Ye, it would be a bit harsh on them to travel so far.
    I'm only selling 2 of my 4. I'm keeping my original 2 because they are just so friendly and lay nice dark eggs.
    If you want I can post you some WLH x Marans eggs haha.

9. TheChookPatch

TheChookPatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Getting some cool colours from my girls :)

2 people like this.
  10. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    The blues are so pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by