Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. abbeycreamcat

abbeycreamcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2012
    Geeveston Tasmania
    Thanks Clucky - can I call you that? - he's pretty special, he's my Polish Frizzle, Fabio, his temperament is as lovely as his looks. He's currently visiting a breeder and has a harem of gorgeous Polish girls at his beck and call [​IMG]
    Also thanks for the welcome as well from you and Satay [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. Megans Chickens

Megans Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    So I have been noticing lately that when my chicken runs she has quite a noticeable limp.. she walks completely fine its just when she runs... this has been there for a few weeks but just the past day or so it has been a lot more noticeable, she doesn't seem to be in pain or anything and when I hold her she doesn't make a noise if I play with her legs ect...... Should I be worried?? or has this happened to anyone elses chicken?

3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    They can land heavily when jumping down from the perch. Have you checked the underside of the feet for bumblefoot?

4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

Lol makes you wonder if she has a little something else mixed in her somewhere :)

5. Anniebee

Anniebee Chillin' With My Peeps

How sorry I was to read of these disasters you have suffered. That is just dreadful - so sorry for your loss. Any way you can stop dogs getting in ? You mentioned paddock, so I guess
    they are free ranging birds at all times. That's a problem I guess - dogs can get through just about anything even if they only want to chase. My own dog, if she grabbed a chicken - she wouldn't want to kill it - but it would most likely die of shock just the same. She is a Golden Retriever, so would 'retrieve' but the chicken would be ultra-traumatised. That doesn't help you any though. Hope you can stop that happening again somehow.

Ciao ........ AB.

6. Anniebee

I would like a bet that she has something else in her there. Isa's don't usually don't 'do broody'. ?? So -- agreeing with appps - wonder what the line is, she has in her. Good luck - give her some eggs - see what happens. Wondering here though, if an Isa would be a good mum ? ....

Cheers ....... AB.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  7. abbeycreamcat

abbeycreamcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2012
    Geeveston Tasmania
    Anniebee I have only had the odd rare occurrence of dogs pestering us here and it is almost without exception by visiting dogs as it unfortunately was on both of these occasions, and the fault of their humans not paying attention to them.
    The first time was a Dobermann I was looking after for a friend, and while I was cleaning the pens I ducked off to get a drink without latching the gate properly and got sidetracked so totally my fault, the second time was my son-in-law's dog (who has chased them before) and he left him outside to play with my dogs while I wasn't home, but being way smaller than my dogs he squeezed through a gap under the fence which SIL usually blocks when he comes to visit but forgot, so totally his fault. Just awful that my little ones suffered so much pain and trauma through our momentary carelessness [​IMG]

8. Anniebee

We are but human abbeycreamcat .... and we all make mistakes. Hopefully we don't repeat them - and in my experience the harder the lesson learned, the better it is learned. So it's my bet it will never again happen to you. But it's so easy for things like that to occur. Don't beat yourself up over it, even though it was an awfully sad loss. I hope you have some fun and happiness with your remaining chickens and any new chicks you get.

Cheers ........ AB

9. Megans Chickens

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    What is bumble foot?? Sorry first time chicken owner here :)

10. Megans Chickens

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Fancychooklady - so I googled bumblefoot and no she has no signs of that, no cuts or lumps or discolor... But she is a little bit touchy when I touch her feet.. Should I use salt water to clean just incase? Or is there anything else to look for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by