Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. megacakes

megacakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Her mothering qualities would be lacking, I reckon. She seems to have taken herself out this morning, although she spent all day yesterday in the nesting box (I think...she was in there when I went to work and still there when I got home) and made the sorts of noises she made last time to go with the savage peck she gave me when I tried to move her!
    I'd love to get some fertile eggs, but I think the chance of heartbreak here in the suburbs would be too great. My little cat seems to protect the chooks from the many cats we have around here (she sits in a tree in their run on guard duty and chases strays away) but I think she may view chicks as an easy dinner. I'd have no idea what to do if we hatched roosters, either, but I know I'd not be allowed to keep any.

2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    A little soak in Epsom salts certainly wouldn't go astray. Is her foot hot to touch? I would separate her , if that's practical . Take some pics so you can use them for reference later.

3. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Roos are always an issue. I have a man who takes them for me. I have a dozen and sometimes it's hard making the decision , but I can't keep them all. I haven't had too much trouble rehoming purebred roos. I have 2 cats and while Bella is ferocious, she is frightened of " crazy " momma hen.
    [​IMG]
    She will even stay in the coop some nights, stalking rats.

4. megacakes

megacakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Haha, your Bella sounds like my Chinda! She's a Korat...a little cat with a big voice! Brave as anything when it comes to other cats, but she runs a mile if Glados even looks at her! She brought in four rats in only a few days last week, one sitting under my chair here when I got home from work...lucky me!

5. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I have never lost a chick to my cats, but I have lost several to rats. I've seen the chooks clean up a mouse but I think the water rats would be a bit daunting for them. If I don't collect the eggs during the day the rats get them. I hate rats!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's why I keep tigers!

6. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

You can if you want but I'd prefer Lucas[​IMG].
    Fabio, what a fabulous name haha[​IMG]!!!

7. cluckcluckluke

Well, they have all gone. Sold in a flash and one man even came and bought 13 including the two roos.
    In total I got $410 [​IMG].

Now I have 2 rir banties, 1 frizz, Pew Pew, 2 WLH's and my to Marans left.

8. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia

Not a bad days work there Luke :)

So do you plan to hatch your new ones or are you buying grown?

9. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

well done Luke. (or is it Lucas?) :lol:

Onwards and upwards in the breeding game.

Do you advertise you purebred roos to sell them, Fancy? I actually haven't tried with the Marans, I just give them to whoever wants to eat them. I usually think that I will only try to rehome the really good ones.

10. cluckcluckluke

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by