Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi everyone, it's been a while, but I keep reading all the posts.
So many new babies!
I had 5 good hatches of quail, on average 15-16 birds each hatch, and then my quails just quit laying for a while, so I bought some Sussex eggs and put 8 in my little incubator, my first time hatching chickens!
Four are pure light sussex and four are buff rooster over light hen. Day 8 today.

And I have an "araucana" quail
smile.png

Greetings from Maclagan, that little town near the Bunya Mountains on the Darling Downs in QLD that no one has heard of, hehe:)

Welcome. Ok I am guilty of not knowing your little town and I had my honeymoon many years ago at the bunya mountains. Beautiful area. We had a friend lived at Kumbia for many years.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, it's been a while, but I keep reading all the posts. So many new babies! I had 5 good hatches of quail, on average 15-16 birds each hatch, and then my quails just quit laying for a while, so I bought some Sussex eggs and put 8 in my little incubator, my first time hatching chickens! Four are pure light sussex and four are buff rooster over light hen. Day 8 today. And I have an "araucana" quail :)
Hey red, I was just thinking about you the other day wondering how your quail venture was going. Lovely eggs. Quail eggs come in the weirdest of colours. Every now and then I get an egg from my Italian pen that is darker than a marans egg. Shame it doesn't consistently lay that colour.

I place I used to work/live at had them wandering around....I concur they are very noisy. Interesting to watch how the males woo the females though, more enjoyable than ducks anyway.

Darn it you two your supposed to be telling me they are not as noisy as everyone says :lol: . No chance of changing hubbys mind now :lol:

Last edited:
Hi everyone, it's been a while, but I keep reading all the posts. So many new babies! I had 5 good hatches of quail, on average 15-16 birds each hatch, and then my quails just quit laying for a while, so I bought some Sussex eggs and put 8 in my little incubator, my first time hatching chickens! Four are pure light sussex and four are buff rooster over light hen. Day 8 today. And I have an "araucana" quail :)
Good luck with the sussex eggs red. Looks like a lot of us will be posting baby pics in the up coming weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom