Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

Love the green grass, Fancy. Can we have some of that. I am sure Satay would like some too. Dumb question, how big a chick does a full grown owl take?

2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    No such thing as a dumb question, Rexy. I've only lost one to the owl and she was a full grown bantam. He got her in the hay shed cause she was nesting in there. Btw, this is a very big owl. We
    Found a chick that had fallen from the nest, unfortunately it was dead, but it was already bigger than my chooks. It was her full sister that was taken.[​IMG]

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Hmmmm. Yeah lol

4. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Just checked bush mumma and her babies and they are getting their feathers and they are both frizzled.. Now we know who she has been hanging out with at least lol

5. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    It's raining again, there will be no hay cut today. Were off to hobart to get a new hydraulic hose for the tractor.

6. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  7. Megans Chickens

Megans Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Your so lucky to have an avian Veterinary down your way. I too would take a wound like that to a vet but we only have a small dog and cat one down here.
    I didn't think combs needed stitches. Combs heal incredibly well.

Actually she isn't a avian vet lol.. Just a normal vet but had bird knowledge... I was just so lucky she could do it for me... But we do have an avian vet clear by in Brisbane but they wanted to charge me $1200 for the comb removal!!! Crazy!!
    So the vet that I went to she has worked with chickens but this was her first chicken surgery today :) Wilma has come out of it great, she was under anesthetic for 15 mins and had the comb removed and 2 stitches :) she is at home now relaxing and eating like a pig again :)

8. Megans Chickens

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    [​IMG]

So for those wondering, Wilma is out of surgery.. She did amazingly well under anesthetic and is at home recovering well and eating like a piglet! She had the whole comb removed and 2 stitches put in! Should be back to normal in a few days :)

1 person likes this.
  9. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Oh well done Wilma. Get well soon.

10. Megans Chickens

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    thankyou :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by