Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Hard day for me yesterday too. We have had quite a few days of over 40c. I have been keeping an eye on everyone making sure they all have icy cold water plenty of shade. About 5 yesterday afternoon it was still 40c and we were checking again on all the animals to find one of my quail cages we had lost half of that cage to heat. My poor quails. Everyone else seems to have made it through ok.

2. Megans Chickens

Megans Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

Yeh it was really horrible :( don't know how it happened.. I'm guessing it started small as the rest were trying to bite it off... As of now it's ripped all the way from the back right up to her nose.. So removal is the only option! Will let you know how she goes today :) hopefully she won't stress too much! At least she is very happy on the grass ( in a cage) at the moment eating her veggies..

3. Megans Chickens

Megans Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Oh

Oh no :( sorry to hear that!! it was so hot yesterday here also! (Gold Coast) As I had to isolate my one chicken I felt so bad as she couldn't lay in the garden :(

4. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    So sorry, that would be heart breaking. [​IMG], :hugs

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Thanks fancy. I have never lost an animal to heat out here before. Unfortunately we missed all the storms too which would normally cool it down a little by that time of night.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  6. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Thanks megan :)

7. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I had a young roo pull one of my coro's combs half off. There was a lot of blood, I sprayed it with Terramycin ( pink eye spray ) and it healed fairly well. My husband did want to cut the comb off, but I decided to leave it be. I call her flopsy now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I was out at midnight putting these little guys to bed. For some reason they prefer to sleep on the ground , behind the feed shed. I was about to go to bed when I heard an owl hooting. I've already lost 1 to him.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Gosh your corro's are stunning. I had sussex when I first got into chickens. Had a couple of corro's.. Now only have 1 silver, 1 red, 1 buff and a couple of light left. My favourite of all of them was a speckled she was a stunning girl.

10. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

He's wonderful. I love ANYTHING Buff coloured, it's just a wonderful colour.
    I want to get Buff Leghorns so badly.

Ye, they go into shut down tonight. I haven't candled them again as I want a surprise.
    I have 2 broodies ready to go ( frizzle and bantie RIR ). Ms Frizz always goes broody at the right time, it's happened 3 times now where shes gone broody right when I want her to.

[​IMG]YAY, congrats!!!

Sorry to hear this Megan, hope she goes alright.
    You know you can do this yourself? It's called dubbing and used to be done all the time back when cock fighting was about, now it's only done if a comb or wattles are damaged ( like your case ).

Oh nooooo!!! That's terrible[​IMG]!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by