Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I don't know how they can justify that kind of expense. I had a horse caught in a fence. The equine vet had to travel from hobart 50 mins, remove the 8 inch flap of flesh, put 6 stitches in give a local anesthetic, tetanus and antibiotics. Not to mention the extensive bandaging. She also left antibiotic injections and bandages for us to use over the next 10 days. She had a nurse with her and she charged me $460 . I would think that dealing with a 600 kilo horse was much more dangerous than a chicken. I've had my chook to an avian vet, so I agree with , doing what you can. I just don't know how a vet can charge that much.

2. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    I don't know with chickens but mila's trip to the vet's costs were mostly for the medicine. Cream and injections. If you wanna have some fun try injecting a then 8ft carpet snake with a needle. The don't stay still and you have to be careful where you put the needle as their organs run down the body. Thor was the last animal I had that had to have an operation and that was for desexing and that cost about $200. Most of that cost was because of his size.

3. Megans Chickens

Megans Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Yeh the reason it was so expensive the first round was because it was Sunday morning at an emergancy vet! So they know how to charge! The $285 was just the cost of surgery and anesthetic as I was lucky to have it done by my friend! But everywhere else is sooooo expensive..

4. Megans Chickens

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Yeh it's so expensive but at the time I just wanted to get her better.. I wasn't paying the $1200 that was just ridiculous! And I think it was that much as it was an emergancy vet Sunday morning! Also they charged me $300 just to have her checked over :( Luckily for my friend who's a vet did it for $285... That included the surgery, anesthetic, pain meds and antibiotics!

5. Megans Chickens

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

Yeh I know!!! Then again everything on the Gold Coast is a rip off!!! And I think it's because it was an emergancy vet! 24/7 so they like to charge as some people have no other option!

6. Megans Chickens

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wilma is back with the rest of the chickens this morning.. Only 16 hours after her comb removal.. She is doing great! Couldn't wait to get in the garden and roll in the dirt!

7. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    When we were going to get thor desexed my brother suggested I ring the uni at Gatton as that is where the vets are trained now cause it would be cheaper and they need to learn etc. Well I did and it was going to cost me $400 to have thor desexed there. Not sure how they could justify that.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  8. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Yah Wilma. Glad she is doing so well.

9. Megans Chickens

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    When we were going to get thor desexed my brother suggested I ring the uni at Gatton as that is where the vets are trained now cause it would be cheaper and they need to learn etc. Well I did and it was going to cost me $400 to have thor desexed there. Not sure how they could justify that.[/quotte]
    Wow! That's expensive!
    I think I just went to emergancy as these are my first ever chickens and I panicked as there was so much blood it was the only vet open at 5:30am lol

10. Megans Chickens

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

Thankyou! Yeh I'm so very glad she is ok! And the rest are treating her normal again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by