Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    We use left over decking, and I have a ladder or two. The decking is about 70 ml x 19 ml. This allows them to sit their feathers down over their feet in winter.
    A fake egg will give them the idea of where to lay, in one of my pens I have a milk crate with a side cut out, turned upside down with some hay on the ground.
    It is one of the preferred laying spots. Pine needles are pretty good too . Btw, if you have any golf balls laying around they are just as effective.
    Another cheap but good idea is those heavy duty caterers type buckets. Drilled through the bottom, straight to the wall and off the ground. Put some hay in and presto, nest box.

2. Karen Whitfield

Karen Whitfield Chillin' With My Peeps

will definitely look you up the next time we are down your way. Just gorgeous.

3. Megans Chickens

Megans Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Great thanks that helps a lot!
    I made them a ladder yesterday using the square timber and they hate it! Thought it might hurt their feet, so I was going to head to bunnings this morning and get some round timber :)

4. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

For round perches, I just go up to the bush behind my place and get some good sized deadwood. I think it is more natural than the shiny round timber. One of my ladders is round branches attached to boards with hooks on the end of the boards, which just attaches to any mesh. Most of my other perches are boards, about 70x35. Some of my nest boxes are old mower catchers.

5. Megans Chickens

Megans Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Great thanks! I was thinking of tree branches but then thought how would I put them in there box at night time.. There isn't any wire to hook it in..

6. Redoliveberry

Redoliveberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia

7. Redoliveberry

Mar 17, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Photo spam [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. rexy

rexy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

If there is some timber there, you can screw some "eyes" in to hook the hooks into.

9. Redoliveberry

Mar 17, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote: Love the coro colour, but have not seen any eggs for sale near me. I bought the light and buff locally.
    I have 4 chicks from the buff over light x and was told they were sex links, so the buff chicks are girls and the light ones are boys.
    Is that the case?
    I have 2 of each.

10. Karen Whitfield

Karen Whitfield Chillin' With My Peeps

how adorable

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by