Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by duckyfromoz, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    I would be very mindful of the risk involved of reintroducing her to the flock. If any one of them pays too much attention to her surgery site , you could be back to square one. Personal decision , but I would be keeping her in as clean a place as possible in quarantine for at least a week.

2. Megans Chickens

Megans Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

Yeh I understand that! She was hurting herself being locked up this morning rubbing her head along the cage and thought she would stress herself out to much being locked up.. The rest of the chickens came over and greeted her and that was it no pecking or anything.. They are all just laying in the garden together now! The vet said she will be fine to be back with them today.. She has 2 stitches but you can't even see them and the chickens have not been interested in them either.. She is on antibiotics so no infection will start.. ( I don't live on a farm just in a normal house, so it's very hard to isolate one chicken as there is no room to)

3. Megans Chickens

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia

Also if I do see anyone pick her or she isn't staying clean I'll be the first one to bring her inside!

4. Megans Chickens

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    So as I'm still new to having chickens I need some help! I've heard of several different answers so thought I'd ask on here!

- When making a perch for inside the coop do you use round perched or rectangle? Same for ladders ect?

- my chickens are out of their coop all day and I don't think they will go back in to lay eggs, should I make a egg box for the lower section of the coop? Also do fake eggs in the nest box help?

- I noticed this morning that one of my chickens was doing this funny squat! Like bending at the knees and walking funny. Is this a sign of eggs soon? Do I need to do anything?

Thanks for any help :)

5. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    You don't need a farm to isolate a chook. I have a hospital that consists of an old cocky cage, with the bottom removed. I currently have my LS roo in it. He is in the hay shed, but a quiet corner of the garden or the laundry would suffice . Believe me if you are going to keep chooks , it's better to be prepared. Some form of isolation pen is a must. That being said, just keep a close eye on your hen.

6. Karen Whitfield

Karen Whitfield Chillin' With My Peeps

wow that's gorgeous fancy. I love the corros too, I have never heard of them before.

7. Karen Whitfield

how gorgeous

8. Megans Chickens

Oct 7, 2013
    Gold Coast, Australia
    I will keep an eye on her! Thanks for the info! I will try and look for another type of coop for isolation when needed.. All I had was a dog pen.. And the others were jumping over it.. Even though it was all covered off! Just thought she may have been safer out of it! At the moment she is asleep under the trees in the cool..

9. Karen Whitfield

the poor thing, I'm glad she's better now

10. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Thanks Karen, we are almost neighbours, next time your down our way I'd be happy to introduce you to King George and his girls. Tassie is the best place to get your hands on some good coro's.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by