Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

lol sussex are a nice gentle breed that lay well. Sounds like a good plan Sam :)

Sam I second that. As satay said, they are a gentle breed. This is king Henry and his girls.

I'm ready to cry! 26 week old RIR is not laying yet, 1 year old Plymouth not laying, 24 week old Australorp not laying.. House is fine, cleaned daily, my silkie lays daily but no one else :barnie

Ok had my little rant..

Sounds odd about the rir and aussie. My girls started to lay at about 5 months. The longest I had a hen go without laying were my brahmas when I had them just over a year old when I got the first egg. Don't think my cochins were much better either.

Last edited:
Why not?? I have 3 big dogs, 2 cats, and chickens running everywhere... (No enablers on here ;) )

Lol Agree. I have 2 dogs, 1 cat, 2 snakes, 4 budgies, 1 diamond dove, 8 indian ring necks. Many large fowl and bantams, turkeys and ducks and quails... I am not an enabler at all :)

Last edited:
OMG! babies everywhere. Spring has sprung.
Anyways, a lot of people on here think of me as a fellow Aussie. I consider myself mostly one too, as I have lived here most of my life, although I kept my country of births citizenship, I am a permanent resident. My kids and husband are all born here. So I would like to tell you I am really a Yank. My accent is Australian, so you wouldn't know, unless I told you. My parents were recruited here in the early 70's, as the NSW Government needed Special Education Teachers, and there were none trained here at the time.
I am telling you all this because I would like to wish you a Very Scary Halloween!
I have always had very fond memories of Halloween from my younger years in America. So when I had children, that was one tradition I tried to passed on to them.
When they were little, I would always decorate the house and have them dress up. As we lived in a rural part of the country, our neighbours were really spaced out, so trick or treaters were obviously not going to come, even though the house was all decorated to try to invite them. So I would invite their friends from preschool and then primary school over to celebrate with us.
I received some, what I would call snobbery or even prejudice from parents and I felt sorry for those children that had to miss out on the fun because of their parents ignorance and lack of open mindedness, that other peoples cultures can be fun to celebrate.
I would try to explain to parents and children, that the actual first Halloween's were celebrated in Ireland and it also came from the Spanish tradition of the Day of the Dead. Its originally about celebrating our ancestors and I am sure that Australian's have those too.
So why can't Aussie's celebrate and enjoy Halloween too?
HAPPY HALLOWEEN
ep.gif

Lol yeah no use in pretending. ;) hubby likes the barred rocks and light Sussex I want aru's I saw legbars too recently. To many to choose from !

I have a handful of eggs from my ara that may be fertile by my late Plymouth rock roo if you want them. Then you can have two in one :p there are a bunch of issues though. While I'm STILL getting fertile eggs from my rock hen, I can't confirm fertility on the Araucana as I can't see through the shell. Also, if they are fertile, big rooster + small eggs will probably make for a very low hatch rate, oh and they're pullet eggs. Yeah, probably not a good idea actually lol. But yours if you want them. :)

OMG! babies everywhere. Spring has sprung.
Anyways, a lot of people on here think of me as a fellow Aussie. I consider myself mostly one too, as I have lived here most of my life, although I kept my country of births citizenship, I am a permanent resident. My kids and husband are all born here. So I would like to tell you I am really a Yank. My accent is Australian, so you wouldn't know, unless I told you. My parents were recruited here in the early 70's, as the NSW Government needed Special Education Teachers, and there were none trained here at the time.
I am telling you all this because I would like to wish you a Very Scary Halloween!
I have always had very fond memories of Halloween from my younger years in America. So when I had children, that was one tradition I tried to passed on to them.
When they were little, I would always decorate the house and have them dress up. As we lived in a rural part of the country, our neighbours were really spaced out, so trick or treaters were obviously not going to come, even though the house was all decorated to try to invite them. So I would invite their friends from preschool and then primary school over to celebrate with us.
I received some, what I would call snobbery or even prejudice from parents and I felt sorry for those children that had to miss out on the fun because of their parents ignorance and lack of open mindedness, that other peoples cultures can be fun to celebrate.
I would try to explain to parents and children, that the actual first Halloween's were celebrated in Ireland and it also came from the Spanish tradition of the Day of the Dead. Its originally about celebrating our ancestors and I am sure that Australian's have those too.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN :eek:

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! I'm a Yank too :) born and raised in Texas. We got the same snobbery for a while but it seems to be catching on now. I was even talking to a woman on the bus recently who was telling me About this house I must visit on Halloween and it was my mom's place! She even mentioned this "dog" that my ma had which was actually me dressed as a manbearpig :-D I'm currently dying my hair green for this year's costume :-D glad there's a fellow Halloween lover out there :) would love to see pictures of your celebrations :)

OMG! babies everywhere. Spring has sprung.
Anyways, a lot of people on here think of me as a fellow Aussie. I consider myself mostly one too, as I have lived here most of my life, although I kept my country of births citizenship, I am a permanent resident. My kids and husband are all born here. So I would like to tell you I am really a Yank. My accent is Australian, so you wouldn't know, unless I told you. My parents were recruited here in the early 70's, as the NSW Government needed Special Education Teachers, and there were none trained here at the time.
I have always had very fond memories of Halloween from my younger years in America. So when I had children, that was one tradition I tried to passed on to them.
When they were little, I would always decorate the house and have them dress up. As we lived in a rural part of the country, our neighbours were really spaced out, so trick or treaters were obviously not going to come, even though the house was all decorated to try to invite them. So I would invite their friends from preschool and then primary school over to celebrate with us.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN :eek:

Happy Halloween to you Jellybean and Pinky :) ( I don't celebrate Haloween but wish you both a wonderful night)

Last edited:
I will happily wish you a fun Halloween with your family. I think its nice you are doing a party since its part of your family history.

but am afraid personally I'm rather anti it in Australia. Its just an excuse for the stores to have one more big holiday merchandise flog off. Ill celebrate other countries holidays when we don't just pick the ones where there is something in it for us lol. Can't remember ever seeing anyone wandering the streets celebrating Chinese New Year or stores selling their traditional items ;-) because there are no freebies I would guess

I should add the dusclaimer that could be a little biased due to having my fly screens egged by teenagers not even in costumes after free lollies. Not fun to remove once dried I can tell you! I had even happened to have some lollies that first year kids ever knocked and had given to kids but then run out. Has turned me into the Halloween grinch lol

I would however love to take my kids trick or treating in a country where its traditional and done well :)

Last edited:
Quote: Happy Halloween to you also. We made a big thing of it in Scotland when we were little. Then there was Guy Fawkes night aka Bonfire night on 5th November. We didn't buy costumes, we made our own and were typically things like chimney sweep, a fairy, princess, a witch, if you were a boy you dressed as a girl and vice versa and so on... and we had to actually do something (a party piece) in order to gain our treat. Maybe recite some poetry, sing a song, do a dance. It wasn't called Trick or treat, we called it Guising

Back
Top Bottom