Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Maybe you should just let them do their thing then, Appps. Just assume they are no good becasue of the low fertility, and then you will get a pleasant surprise.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Yeah I know you are right, guess I just wanted someone to convince me other wise LOL

I can candle tomorrow on day 5 so of course the curiosity is killing me
fl.gif
But they only take 14-18 days to hatch so I really should just be patient
tongue.png
Its all rather exciting as its the first thing we have ever tried to hatch.

I'm sending happy hatch thoughts to you. I'd say waiting is better than accidentally breaking one that is developing. Especially if the fertility is low. Only two weeks to go!

Actually less than that !

Last edited:
Hey guys

I got question time again too now lol.. My white Silkie has dropped noticeably in weight overnight! There is a lot of dirt around her bum and belly it's the coop dirt but I also think her bum could have some poop stuck to it.. She's acting the same and all other are healthy she even laid this morning.. They've just been wormed hmmmm any ideas?..

Also I've heard it flea breeding season I'm not sure what I need to do for my girls when it comes to fleas?..

Hey guys

I got question time again too now lol.. My white Silkie has dropped noticeably in weight overnight! There is a lot of dirt around her bum and belly it's the coop dirt but I also think her bum could have some poop stuck to it.. She's acting the same and all other are healthy she even laid this morning.. They've just been wormed hmmmm any ideas?..

Also I've heard it flea breeding season I'm not sure what I need to do for my girls when it comes to fleas?..
I have no idea, but could it be a reaction to the worming? As you know dogs/cats etc have runny poos after they are wormed.
My chickens don't seem to have an issue when I worm them, but all are different

Hi Teila,

Most of the chick starter brands you get here are very powdery, and I agree, I don't like them either. The Laucke brand chick starter is by far the best, it is not as powdery, but you may need to check the website to find a stockist. They also have a micropellet for growing pullets out, which is also an excellent quality. Some pullet grower is also crumbles, and still too powdery. There are different kinds of finishers/growers, and the meat bird one is called - usually, I think - broiler grower. So as long as you get a pullet grower, you are good to go.

Since they are silkies, so rather small, maybe crumbles is the best way to go, but the micro - pellets aren't very big (hence the name
lol.png
)
Just wanted to say thanks again to rexy, ben-hens and others who replied to my query; also wanted to give the Sales Rep at Laucke a bit of a plug!

I checked out their web site and could not see a stockist close to me so I dropped them an e.mail enquiring about their Red Hen Pullet Grower. Their Rep e.mailed me back almost immediately and we identified a stockist 15kms from me but this chap did not stock the RH Pullet Grower and had already placed his order. The Rep organised for a bag to be sent out specially for me and the stockist rang me today to tell me he would have it in a week or so and would give me a call when it came in! I couldn't ask for better service! It is not medicated but by the time I get them started they will be coming up for 7 weeks and seeing I may have to purchase more chick-start in the interim, I can mix the remaining and gradually introduce the grower :)

PS. I use the Laucke brand in my bread machine and once I found it, I haven't changed and always buy that one!

Sydney, what wormer did you use? Most poultry wormers don't cover tape. Is she laying? Eating normal ? For wormers to be effective you should worm once, then again in 10 days.

Hey Fancy and Sandee

She was eating the crumble like crazy this afternoon and laid today as well, I haven't seen any worms since worming and Thu is day 10 to do it again, i got the one in a green bottle with a picture of the chicken on it because i'm pretty sure it said it treated for quite a few types of worms, I also have the one starting with P that's white bottle gold writing should i try that one on thu or use it next time i worm?

She seems totally fine in every other way she did how ever go nuts on the crumble like she hasn't eaten in a while but the food has always been there and available, she's one of the head chooks too so no one would push her around.. Should i get her a tub of mealworms for some protein or is trying to fatten her up again just masking it? I'm thinking it may be her silkie feathering that's gone flat after the rain and and bath and blow dry is in order for tomorrow as well as a bum hair cut.

Awwww guys i have no idea what i do without you all lol xxxx

Hey Fancy and Sandee

She was eating the crumble like crazy this afternoon and laid today as well, I haven't seen any worms since worming and Thu is day 10 to do it again, i got the one in a green bottle with a picture of the chicken on it because i'm pretty sure it said it treated for quite a few types of worms, I also have the one starting with P that's white bottle gold writing should i try that one on thu or use it next time i worm?

She seems totally fine in every other way she did how ever go nuts on the crumble like she hasn't eaten in a while but the food has always been there and available, she's one of the head chooks too so no one would push her around.. Should i get her a tub of mealworms for some protein or is trying to fatten her up again just masking it? I'm thinking it may be her silkie feathering that's gone flat after the rain and and bath and blow dry is in order for tomorrow as well as a bum hair cut.

Awwww guys i have no idea what i do without you all lol xxxx

Sid, I'd try her on some scrambled egg. She could probably do with the extra protein. I gave my babies their first tin of sardines yesterday. It's hilarious watching them snatch and run. King George likes to help with feeding. These are not even his babies, but he seems to want to hang out with them.

I have never had an issue with any of mine getting sick, (other than poor Henrietta that passed away) but at least once a week mine get scrambled egg with spinach in it :)
The chickens get that every couple of days :) They love it :)

Awwww Fancy! God your chooks and farm are just so amazing.. I'll give it a whirl I've only got two eggs at the mom lol but it's mainly for my little Parsley so I'll take her aside and make sure she gets the most hehehe.

Thanx guys! Awesome as always!

Back
Top Bottom