Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

@darajosami First column is the date, second weekday, then it's every individual chicken we have for which I mark their egg weight in grams, then the daily total of eggs, then daily total weight of eggs, daily average weight of eggs, average weight of eggs laid in the previous 7 days, and amount of eggs laid daily during the previous seven days.

*Edit* I'm mainly interested in the size development of our eggs, so that's why I focus on the weights.

Last edited:
Linoliec acid and methionine levels are directly responsible for egg size and mass. Studies suggest that these levels should be reduced at 40 weeks to maintain egg and shell quality. Bigger eggs mean thinner shells and thin shells are prone to crack and be a pre curser for internal laying .
Bigger is not necessarily better. :)

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/366/controlling-late-egg-size

Fancy, with the egg weights we're getting I don't think I need to worry yet
tongue.png

Fancy, with the egg weights we're getting I don't think I need to worry yet :p

No but your detailed charts might come in handy one day. One of my hens started laying triple Yolkers in her 4 th year so I started looking at the linoleic acid levels in different feeds. Thankfully she is back to standard size Wyandotte eggs.

It will be fascinating to see how the egg size develops over the first year of laying. In the past few weeks I've seen a significant growth in egg size. I'd like to get the average size up to about 60g, but we'll see. The sussex with the empty column will be interesting too once she gets to laying age. She's been holding out on us for quite some time already, 22 weeks old today with loads of light during that time (19+ h days in the middle of the summer). The three weeks older ones started around week 19.

It will be fascinating to see how the egg size develops over the first year of laying. In the past few weeks I've seen a significant growth in egg size. I'd like to get the average size up to about 60g, but we'll see. The sussex with the empty column will be interesting too once she gets to laying age. She's been holding out on us for quite some time already, 22 weeks old today with loads of light during that time (19+ h days in the middle of the summer). The three weeks older ones started around week 19.

Vehev, my DH wanted to know where the graphs were.
wink.png
I also record the weight of my eggs each day. I'm interested to find out which are the better layers overall. Although noise may become a more important requirement. I had my neighbour yelling at my chickens yesterday morning - after 8am.
hmm.png

Congrats on your win K Spot! She's beautiful.

Satay, I'm sorry for your loss, but it always makes me a little happy to hear when a hen has had a lovely retirement. I have no problem with anyone munching their hens when they are past their best laying years, but the golden oldies always make me feel awww.
hugs.gif

@cwrite I only draw a graph of the weight development, the blue line shows the daily average weight and the red line is a daily calculated average for the previous 7 days.

You should file a noise complaint with local law enforcement about your neighbor
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Vehev, my DH wanted to know where the graphs were.  ;)   I also record the weight of my eggs each day.  I'm interested to find out which are the better layers overall.  Although noise may become a more important requirement.  I had my neighbour yelling at my chickens yesterday morning - after 8am.  :/

Congrats on your win K Spot!  She's beautiful.

Satay, I'm sorry for your loss, but it always makes me a little happy to hear when a hen has had a lovely retirement.  I have no problem with anyone munching their hens when they are past their best laying years, but the golden oldies always make me feel awww.  :hugs

Oh that cwrite. I have no prob with people getting rid of oldies either but to me they have laid well for me over the years or protected their girls well so I let them live out their lives here.

Vehev, my DH wanted to know where the graphs were.  ;)   I also record the weight of my eggs each day.  I'm interested to find out which are the better layers overall.  Although noise may become a more important requirement.  I had my neighbour yelling at my chickens yesterday morning - after 8am.  :/

Congrats on your win K Spot!  She's beautiful.

Satay, I'm sorry for your loss, but it always makes me a little happy to hear when a hen has had a lovely retirement.  I have no problem with anyone munching their hens when they are past their best laying years, but the golden oldies always make me feel awww.  :hugs

I'll lend you my Belgian girls for a few days cwrite. Your neighbours will think your hens are quiet compared to these little loud chatty ladies.

Hello fellow Australian Chickeners! I just joined to learn more about my girls. I just lost a hen and it was a terrible shock. Want to ensure it doesn't happen again. She was a pretty epic chicken. I'm decided now between another chicken, or maybe a duck or goose?

Back
Top Bottom