Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Congrats on the first egg Vehve!
wee.gif

Good morning
caf.gif

K Spot sorry to read that Bubbles broke one of her eggs. I have a first time sitter also and she has dropped from 6 to 5 eggs with one somehow getting chipped. She has under a week to go and is sitting pretty.

Outpost JWB good to read that solitary confinement has made Sue rethink his lot in life
wink.png

Glad I could help with the step-by-step :)

Apps well done, you look very organised and ready for those bubbies! I would also not trust Magpies or Crows around my bubs and keep a very careful eye on them when they are not under cover. Having said that, Tina did a fantastic job of protecting them from an invading Myna bird which was not interested in the chicks at all
wink.png

Vehve sorry to read about your impending egg-drought; but congrats on that first egg!

I am finding it hard to believe myself, but Cilla, who I mentioned was showing early signs of going broody appears to have been broken! She laid an egg yesterday and left it, choosing to wander around instead! I think making her sleep on the roost in the evenings, which have been cooler, may have helped.

Had a bit of a scare yesterday afternoon. Not long after letting everyone out for a supervised free range, LuLu (Frizzle) was looking sleepy and on closer inspection had one cloudy eye and was open beak breathing. I freaked out and had thoughts of influenza, Marek’s, cataracts etc. On the other hand, she could just have been pecked or got some grit/dirt in her eye as it was windy.

As her other eye was clear, poops were OK, no coughing, sneezing or discharge, she was eating and drinking and research indicates that they can open beak breathe if in pain, I made the decision to leave her overnight and see how she was. She slept alone on the lower roost away from the other gals and I had a bit of a sleepless night worrying if she was going to be OK.

This morning she is fine! Her eye is clear and she is back to her normal, bubbly self .. so relieved and it looks like while all those horrible thoughts were going through my head, I made the right call for a change
wink.png

Good morning
caf.gif

K Spot sorry to read that Bubbles broke one of her eggs. I have a first time sitter also and she has dropped from 6 to 5 eggs with one somehow getting chipped. She has under a week to go and is sitting pretty.

I am finding it hard to believe myself, but Cilla, who I mentioned was showing early signs of going broody appears to have been broken! She laid an egg yesterday and left it, choosing to wander around instead! I think making her sleep on the roost in the evenings, which have been cooler, may have helped.

Had a bit of a scare yesterday afternoon. Not long after letting everyone out for a supervised free range, LuLu (Frizzle) was looking sleepy and on closer inspection had one cloudy eye and was open beak breathing. I freaked out and had thoughts of influenza, Marek’s, cataracts etc. On the other hand, she could just have been pecked or got some grit/dirt in her eye as it was windy.

As her other eye was clear, poops were OK, no coughing, sneezing or discharge, she was eating and drinking and research indicates that they can open beak breathe if in pain, I made the decision to leave her overnight and see how she was. She slept alone on the lower roost away from the other gals and I had a bit of a sleepless night worrying if she was going to be OK.

This morning she is fine! Her eye is clear and she is back to her normal, bubbly self .. so relieved and it looks like while all those horrible thoughts were going through my head, I made the right call for a change
wink.png

Thank you Teila - she still has the other 14 left, crossing all appendages for a good hatch ratio. She's really pancaked herself over the eggs, that's for sure.

Those bloody chickens, always keeping us on our toes!
wink.png
Glad to know Lulu is alright.

wink.png
Glad to hear that she is ok Teila & that I'm not the only one that goes from 0-100 at the first sign of illness!

Vehve, it's amazing that you can free range your hens for so long most days & they don't eat ALL the grass. I have to almost horde my grass & restrict their time out so that my lawn does not turn into desert.

I am going to strangle this broody. Day 2 in confinement. Came home to find her in the nesting box and this where our temporary gate take 2 was. She obviously just jumped at it till it fell down. Argh!!!!

Last edited:
This morning she is fine!  Her eye is clear and she is back to her normal, bubbly self .. so relieved and it looks like while all those horrible thoughts were going through my head, I made the right call for a change ;)

Glad to hear that she is ok Teila & that I'm not the only one that goes from 0-100 at the first sign of illness!  

Vehve, it's amazing that you can free range your hens for so long most days & they don't eat ALL the grass.  I have to almost horde my grass & restrict their time out so that my lawn does not turn into desert.

They wander off to the forrest too... and there's just 7 of them, not such a destructive force. It's not the eating that kills the grass in my opinion though, it's the dustbaths. And grass grows best in 15-20 C, easier to keep it nice here.

One day I will get round to glueing the bits together, every now and then a side falls off and the food goes everywhere. One of those million to do jobs :)

I've seen nipple waterers in the plumbing pipe. Is that what yours is?

Back
Top Bottom