Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Thanks Birdman55 - any new methods to counteract lice and mites are welcome .
I have a Minorca cockerel with a big problem which I have not come across before .
He sits back on his haunches with his feet straight up in the air .
He also has a problem walking - he has grown very large and quickly and seemed uncoordinated from around 7 weeks old .
When walking he tends to stand on his own feet a lot and lose balance .
Has anyone had this problem before ??
He is now 12 weeks old and I have been trying to take a photo when he is sitting back but to no avail yet .
I have a White Faced Spanish (which was supposed to be a Minorca) which hatched with him and he is much smaller .
Because he was much smaller I was hoping it would be a pullet but they are both crowing now .

My eggs are cheeping! Cmon babies!

Mr Stupid Rooster has really bad scaley leg mites....we are treating him as best we can (he is a big boy and not tame) but i think he may lose a toe....it looks all constricted.

My eggs are cheeping! Cmon babies!

Mr Stupid Rooster has really bad scaley leg mites....we are treating him as best we can (he is a big boy and not tame) but i think he may lose a toe....it looks all constricted.

Check for string or twine wrapped around it. At night take him off the roost and lather his legs and feet with Vicks . Do it again in a couple of weeks.

Thanks Birdman55 - any new methods to counteract lice and mites are welcome .
I have a Minorca cockerel with a big problem which I have not come across before .
He sits back on his haunches with his feet straight up in the air .
He also has a problem walking - he has grown very large and quickly and seemed uncoordinated from around 7 weeks old .
When walking he tends to stand on his own feet a lot and lose balance .
Has anyone had this problem before ??
He is now 12 weeks old and I have been trying to take a photo when he is sitting back but to no avail yet .
I have a White Faced Spanish (which was supposed to be a Minorca) which hatched with him and he is much smaller . 
Because he was much smaller I was hoping it would be a pullet but they are both crowing now .

I would suggest you take a good look at the feed. Protein levels, calcium , vitamins etc. most balanced feeds have vits added but they have a short shelf life and are also affected by moisture and humidity. A vitamin D3 deficiency can cause the leg weakness you describe.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._poultry/vitamin_deficiencies_in_poultry.html

I use this multi vitamin routinely added to the water, just to be sure.

http://www.littlevalleypoultry.com/poultry-medications/solvita

Last edited:
@Fancychooklady vicks? Haven't heard that one...i have been using olive oil cooking spray. My mother-in-law reckoned wd40.
No string or anything...just deformed. Some of the scales up his legs are lifting and looking healthy underneath but his poor toes have copped it.

And, this is Dusty today; does not look very comfortable at all. She has a big bare patch on her back as well
sad.png

@Fancychooklady vicks? Haven't heard that one...i have been using olive oil cooking spray. My mother-in-law reckoned wd40.
No string or anything...just deformed. Some of the scales up his legs are lifting and looking healthy underneath but his poor toes have copped it.

The camphor is quite soothing on the skin and the petroleum base will smother them. Just be sure to get all the way up the shank and between the toes.
Also carry a cloth or hand towel with you to get the majority of your hands before you make the mistake of rubbing your eye. :rolleyes:

Yeah, she is doing OK, I am making sure she is getting lots of protein :)

It is a bit windy today and they are not enjoying it. Sorry about all the pics of late but I had to share this one; apparently large concrete frogs make good wind breaks! Why do I feel like breaking into a rendition of Sesame Street's 'One of these things is not like the others' .. lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom