Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Helloooooooo from the Dandy Ranges where it has finally stopped raining! Hard to believe we're moving into a drought when the backyard is more suitable for pigs than chooks.
roll.png

Hi Kerry,I'm from the dandenong ranges too. Isn't the sun nice! I should be out in it but I'm having a slack morning :) Hopefully some of the mud will dry off before it rains next. Lol! I've been spreading mulch everywhere so I don't have to keep dancing with the mud. Who have you got in your flock?

Love those nice red egg or dark coloured eggs
1f60a.png

Thanks chooks 01 I'll put some more egg pics up later :)

I'd be inclined to add some multi vitamins to the water because these symptoms are sounding like wryneck. A quick way to get thiamine in the feed is to dissolve some Vegemite in hot water and add to the feed.

I agree Fancy or some people use baby vitamins in drop form from the chemist. It can't hurt to try. Just don't use Vegemite for extended periods because it's very high in salt but an excellent emergency pick me up.

Thanks chooks 01 I'll put some more egg pics up later :)
I agree Fancy or some people use baby vitamins in drop form from the chemist. It can't hurt to try. Just don't use Vegemite for extended periods because it's very high in salt but an excellent emergency pick me up.

There are several poultry multi vitamins on the market and they are inexpensive . I've used the baby vits in emergency but found that the birds didn't find them to their liking.
I use ' solvita ' , it dissolves in the water and only has a slight citrus odor.
I give it to the entire flock at molt, after worming and just as a general ' pick me up '.

http://www.littlevalleypoultry.com/poultry-medications/solvita

Ooh, another hills person :)

I've been out enjoying the sun whilst I clean the mud off our lethal drive and supervise foraging chooks. We have 3 buff orps who are I guess about 18 months. We got them at 10 weeks. Also 2 barred rocks who we got as day olds at xmas. Their "mum" has just gone broody again, which is silly as the 2 other buff orps are going off the lay due to the short days, and she's therefore been trying to hatch the fake eggs (now confiscated!).

My best gardener amongst them (a buff orp) has just dislocated her hip but has always had a bit of an issue with it. She's moving around and doing all the normal chook stuff, not appearing to be in pain, but not very mobile. That's why I finally joined actually - was hoping someone had experience with similar thing.

We only started keeping chooks in April last year but what a steep learning curve! We originally had 3 light sussex also (from same place as buff orps) and all came with respiratory infections and severe lice infestations. We lost one of the light sussex to the respiratory issues (respiratory arrest and I had to basically put her down), treated everyone for lice (well, the chooks, not the peeps), next light sussex had mareks (no other signs but now we of course have an infected flock and 'land') and once we were absolutely sure I had to put her down, then the last light sussex died of heart failure in my arms one day after a week of sour crop.

None of the buff orps (except clicky hip girl) have every had any issues and the barred rocks of course came from a different place!!

What do you have AND what laid those amazingly coloured eggs on your avatar pic?!

Gosh a rough start hey! That's no good that you were sold sick birds from the get go... Were they from a small local breeder or one of the larger ones? I breed Croad Langshan, Marans, Araucana, Cream Legbar and olive egg laying birds mainly. There are a few bits and bods on the farm too. My daughter has just started with belgiam d'uccles and they are just gorgeous too! I'll put a link to my fb page with heaps of pics of birds and eggs but here are a few of the d'uccles too, they are sooooooo super cute! :)

https://www.facebook.com/rainboweggsaustralia

Back
Top Bottom