Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

V1cky your freebies are sooo cute!

Kleonaptra, same as Sam I have never had an issue with this site on my PC and I am running Windows 7 Professional and use Chrome.

Crow be Gone Update: Morning of Day 3

As I said, I would update with good and bad news.

Today started not so good, I got woken by cawing at 06:00am. Because of the rain last night, I turned the player off at 04:00pm and one of the persistent two Crows slept in the front tree. I did manage to chase one off during the rain but this one would not budge.

Anyways, this morning it was cawing to other Crows in the neighbourhood and even though I turned the player on just after 6am, two Crows were on my roof and one on the roof two doors down. I could hear a few in the neighbourhood.

So, as mentioned, I am trying some tweaking of positioning etc. I have moved the laptop to under the gazebo and attached some speakers which I now have on a shelf, pointing skywards. The instructions suggest that pointing the speakers skywards is the preferred option and I was not technically doing that with the laptop in the shed.

It is reasonably quiet now, so maybe the repositioning has been effective, we shall see.

V1cky your freebies are sooo cute!

Kleonaptra, same as Sam I have never had an issue with this site on my PC and I am running Windows 7 Professional and use Chrome.

Crow be Gone Update: Morning of Day 3

As I said, I would update with good and bad news.

Today started not so good, I got woken by cawing at 06:00am.  Because of the rain last night, I turned the player off at 04:00pm and one of the persistent two Crows slept in the front tree.  I did manage to chase one off during the rain but this one would not budge.

Anyways, this morning it was cawing to other Crows in the neighbourhood and even though I turned the player on just after 6am, two Crows were on my roof and one on the roof two doors down.  I could hear a few in the neighbourhood.

So, as mentioned, I am trying some tweaking of positioning etc.  I have moved the laptop to under the gazebo and attached some speakers which I now have on a shelf, pointing skywards.  The instructions suggest that pointing the speakers skywards is the preferred option and I was not technically doing that with the laptop in the shed.

It is reasonably quiet now, so maybe the repositioning has been effective, we shall see.

I'm a bit sad thinking they have eggs or babies they don't want to leave. Crows have an intricate social structure involving different families settling multiple area which they then patrol and manage co ordinating through cawing to protect the entire territory. Moving wouldn't be a problem for one family, unless they have eggs or babies in the immediate vicinity. Then they wont budge

Hey Kleonaptra

Yep, that had crossed my mind also but I do not believe these two have eggs or babies because they are roosting (or trying to) on the same tree branch every night and their favourite tree has no signs of a nest. Also, I have been watching them for a while and they have not been showing any signs of a building a nest.

Believe it or not; I do feel bad for trying to get them to move on and if they were not so loud and so close, I would be happy to let them be, but the constant noise is driving me to distraction and interfering with my concentration when trying to work.

Well the decision is made, I had a busy day yesterday and came home in the afternoon to find the small brooder box on the floor I found the little blue chick under the big brooder box loudly calling for help and one yellow chick dead in my bedroom, still no sign of the third. The bloody cat, who I'd shut outside when I'd left that morning, had come back in through the louvres in the laundry. So with the still considerable size difference between the older chicks and the little araucana I decided to put it straight under Cho, middle of the day so not ideal but oh boy is she one happy chook! She's still sitting tight though I've taken dummy eggs away, but purring away to the chick and has the colour back in her comb, I can see someone has eaten and scratched around a bit so I'm assuming the chick has come out this morning. I really hope it's not a rooster after all this!!

Hmm how do you coordinate waiting on a broody to go broody with 2 week wait from egg supplier? Just order and cross fingers?

Borrow incubator and cross fingers there is a broody to move them to before they hatch?

Wait on broody and let her sit two weeks before eggs arrive?

Back
Top Bottom