Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

The link I provided is Andy Vardy's backyard poultry, Australia wide and there is also a breeders directory.
Yes, I'm a member there too :) It's very slow in terms of Perth/WA activity in the sale section as you can see; I don't think many chook people around here use it. Prime breeding season and the last ad was three weeks ago and it's very quiet in general. Thanks

Hi all. My name is Toon, I live in Melbourne, Australia. I'm a new member of BYC and also very new to the chicken's world. I have recently got three chickens on last Friday, there is an Australorp, an Isa Brown and a White Silkie. I have been told from a person(family friend) who gave them to us that they are all girl and all three of them are about 16 weeks old.
And today I just picked up an Partridge Silkie since I did a research and found out that you should keep at least two or three silkie chickens together. Now I have two questions and I would like to ask for your help please...
- My first question has came up since I found out that you would not be able to tell the sex of your silkie until they are about 5-6 months old so I started to wonder that my white silkie could possibly be "A Boy". Could you please tell me what do you think?

- My second question is... This evening when I brought a new girl partridge silkie in, and my white silkie came up to her and looked like they were both talking but then she started to jump on top of a partridge girl and kept pecking her non stop so I have stepped up and tried to stop her and put a new girl into bed as it started to get dark. What should I do if this continue to happen when they wake up tomorrow morning?

Thank you so much in advance, any help or reply will be greatly appreciate.

To Fancychooklady and satay sorry to hear your friends unwell.

Thanks Teila for the tip on head counting.

:thumbsup

So often I have had to stop and start counting again, with 10 little fast moving bodies! Now I just do 5 black ones and 5 yellow ones, good we're all here and accounted for :)

yay thats great @ChristieB!
Hi Everyone. Ive been a BYC voyer for 6 months since Ruby & Henri (etta) moved in. Thought i was time i jumped on board. Have learned alot from you guys. Not sure what i can contribute but you never know what happens. I should add that my heart has been won over by the girls, so feel like one of you :)
Awww great! Welcome, join in wherever u like, a lot of us are kindergarteners :p
Wow .. I cannot remember the last time I was sooo happy it was Friday .. oh, hang on, yes I can .. last Friday!!! :celebrate Locknest4 congratulations on your little ones putting themselves to bed .. “we is clever big chickens now!” ;) Ashburnham Oh my .. those ducklings are just too cute for words! :love Howdy Bethan and welcome to the thread. Are they Cochins or Pekins in your avatar .. they look gorgeous! I have a soft spot for Pekins, having a couple myself.
Lol! Last friday.. funny funny
Goshawk is back, I was heading down the driveway when I saw something white sitting in the middle of the horse paddock. Thought , mmm better investigate . It was my poor little ' Tink ' , obviously the hawk had fumbled and dropped her there. She has a ripped toe and was bleeding and was a little traumatized by her unscheduled flight, but I think she will be ok. Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex but that hawk seems to always be able to pick the pullet amongst a sea of cockerels. :rolleyes:
Poor thing! Hoping for a nice recovery - both physically and mentally
Aaaw satay I hope Zeus is OK. Great timing Fancy! Just sharing a Friday Funny! .........................
Haha so true!
Omg I must have miscounted because I have chicks!!! I was sick last night so have only just gone down to check on things , 2 fluffy and one zipping that I can see under Fleur (she has 2 more eggs that I can't see without disturbing her) And 2 with pips under Padma the araucana. The ones under Padma were in the incubator but I gave up on it, wasn't holding temp, either too hot or too cold, and air cells were small despite running with absolutely no water after day 6 when it hit 80% :/. Any who Padma went broody so I decided she can have the incubator eggs as I expected them to hatch a bit late if at all. I think I'll still give whatever hatches today to Fleur, I'll see what happens. Now fluffy butts!!
My set up for the time being. Fleur down the bottom and Padma up top, will have to move someone once they are up with the chicks.
will pop up more photos as they hatch
Looks great! Hope they do well. Cant wait for the pics!
Okay - i though it was nearby. Here is the info anyway, in case someone else needs it. I have brought eggs from her a few times and I'm in SA.
Oh cool i didnt know u were in sa :) im in the murraylands. My chooks are all doing well. Scarlett escaped again today, dunno where she gets out! Dont mind though as long as its just her, she only gets out the front so no danger of the dog wanting to 'play'. About another 24-48 hrs before my first hatch!! Getting excited :-D Sorry if i missed any posts on replying tonight, have a feeling i did..

Some more pictures of my game chicks ^-^

Look at those pretty colours!

Can't wait to see these two when they're older!

aghrafaghrjigdfjgkdfkjg- what are you looking at?

So jealous of those ducklings Ash!!

Side note, how do I tag people? I'm really slack with replying to everyone else's posts, don't want to quote every single thing but can't figure out how to quote!!

Back on flu shot, when I had the flu last year obviously being pregnant I'd had the vax offered but didn't get it, Guilty conscience alert!! I asked the nurses while I was in hospital if having the shot would have prevented it and the answer was no the strain I had wasn't covered by the vaccination. I'm all for vaccination but the flu shot is one of those that I'm still iffy about, the only time I've ever had it is while working in childcare and swine flu was going around (I think I was pregnant at the time too lol)

On the chick front I was naughty and had a quick look with the torch just before, Fleur has 4 out, one hatching, Padma had 2 pipped not quite zipping but almost there I gave those 2 eggs to Fleur to finish hatching
The last 2 under Padma have both pipped internally and are really loud! I can't believe it, I only put them under her just in case, I couldn't see much when I last candled, only 1 had movement, so glad I didn't chuck them!
I swear I'd marked they were due to hatch on Sunday lol. 9 of 15 would be pretty good! But you know "don't count your chickens.." And all that

Hi all. My name is Toon, I live in Melbourne, Australia. I'm a new member of BYC and also very new to the chicken's world. I have recently got three chickens on last Friday, there is an Australorp, an Isa Brown and a White Silkie. I have been told from a person(family friend) who gave them to us that they are all girl and all three of them are about 16 weeks old. And today I just picked up an Partridge Silkie since I did a research and found out that you should keep at least two or three silkie chickens together. Now I have two questions and I would like to ask for your help please... - My first question has came up since I found out that you would not be able to tell the sex of your silkie until they are about 5-6 months old so I started to wonder that my white silkie could possibly be "A Boy". Could you please tell me what do you think? - My second question is... This evening when I brought a new girl partridge silkie in, and my white silkie came up to her and looked like they were both talking but then she started to jump on top of a partridge girl and kept pecking her non stop so I have stepped up and tried to stop her and put a new girl into bed as it started to get dark. What should I do if this continue to happen when they wake up tomorrow morning? Thank you so much in advance, any help or reply will be greatly appreciate.
Hi Toon, :welcome At this stage I'm seeing a pullet. With silkies you need a good side on ' stance ' pic also. When you introduce new birds to your flock it is best leave them in the carry cage , inside the coop overnight , just so they can get a good look at each other. That being said, there will always be a degree of scuffling until the pecking order is sorted out. If it gets serious ie, blood is drawn , then you will have to step in . :)

Back
Top Bottom