Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

My broody silkie Pearl with Fred the roo
1f60a.png
1f60a.png
1f60a.png

Is Fred delivering food for her?

Teila thanks for the belly laugh to get me through the week. You are so lucky to have Rhino beetles.

Here is the crow with the white - now I'm not sure I don't have two. It has more white on it and it is lower than I thought. I spend more time chasing crows than filming them so I haven't taken that much notice. When you zoom in on the feathers you can see they are two coloured in a way I have not seen before. Strange.

And while I am at it - here is Cagney and her baby.

Have a great day everyone.

Good morning Friends
frow.gif

Chooks01 aaaaw, Fred is such a good boy!

MyHaven your little Crow with the white looks like a juvenile to me. Not that I ever wanted to be, but I am becoming quite the Crow expert lol
wink.png

Cagney and her bubba are adorable!

Yeah, with the rhino beetles, I was wondering how common they were because I have not really seen many around here. I did a little research on them last night and interestingly, in Thailand, they are kept as pets being tethered to a hollowed out sugar cane stalk. Apparently it can still fly and maintain its fitness. They are used for a gambling game in that two males are put on a bamboo cylinder with females inside. The males fight for the females and the male that manages to push the other male off the bamboo is the winner
roll.png
Might have to put mine on a training schedule
lau.gif

In New Guinea the larvae reach maturity in about 8 months but in Queensland it is thought that they require two years of growth and when finally beetles, only live for 2-4 months.

Anyways, I was feeling a little guilty for laughing at the girls but while I am sure they had nightmares over it, they are fine this morning.

No chickens or beetles were harmed during the event
wink.png

Teila thanks for the belly laugh to get me through the week. You are so lucky to have Rhino beetles. Here is the crow with the white - now I'm not sure I don't have two. It has more white on it and it is lower than I thought. I spend more time chasing crows than filming them so I haven't taken that much notice. When you zoom in on the feathers you can see they are two coloured in a way I have not seen before. Strange. And while I am at it - here is Cagney and her baby. Have a great day everyone.
Id say your crow is more likely to be a juvenile pied currawong.

Okay - that's really good to know.  I do sometimes set eggs with a smidge off dried poop on them.  This is because I sell all of my better hatching eggs and keep only the ones unable to be sold for myself (body checked eggs, cracked eggs, misshapen eggs, etc). My hatching rates aren't fantastic, but I hardly expect them to be given what I'm starting with.

The incubator was new - but I think it was great practice to give it a good clean (and honestly this was the first time it had ever been suggested to me that I -should- clean my incubator between hatches - which now seems obvious to me).

If you find a bit of poop on an egg just wet some ' viva ' paper towel in warm water and gently rub just that area. I think of the ' bloom ' as the egg/ chicks invisible force field .
Yeah , good practice to start with a clean bator. :) Good luck with your hatch.

Id say your crow is more likely to be a juvenile pied currawong.

Hi, I tried to reply earlier but silly App on the iPad was being difficult.

I see what you are seeing. But I assure you that it is part of a crow flock (or is that murder?) This bird was sitting on a branch cawing back and forth to another crow for about 15 minutes before I thought to look outside. When I have seen it, it is always with other crows, sounding like a crow and flies off with the other crows when I chase them. I'll try can get a shot when it is with the others.

I have never seen or heard any currawongs here.

Cheers

just updating the photos of my babies, they are about 2 and a half to 3 months old now so I thought they might be showing more characteristics of their breed, or I should say breeds, they are definitely two different breeds. The little rooster is so shiny he looks like he's been oiled, it doesn't show up in the photo. I've been trying to put these photos on all week, but every time I came into the site, my computer froze. I didn't have any trouble anywhere else.

If you google crow white feathers quite a few come up. Appears to happen from time to time according to our friend mr google and isn't that uncommon.

Good morning Friends
frow.gif
TGIF !!

Meeka3 your little ones are not so little anymore .. beautiful!

While MyHaven’s little black and white bird’s species is still being debated … I think we can safely but him into the Zoological Classification of Evil Black Butted B&%$#@d regardless
wink.png

So, yesterday was chosen as precautionary 6 month worming day due to the fact that the temp was not predicted to be high and also that, if a second day was required due to non consumption of wormer, today was not predicted to be hot either.

Woo hoo, second day is not required.

Last time I wormed them, I made the mistake of letting them out for free range at 4pm after having only medicated water in the run. They made a beeline to their waterer in the garden which was not medicated and took a nice long drink … little sneaks had been holding out on me
smack.gif

This time, I was ready .. while I could see that they had definitely had some, when I let them out, the garden waterer was medicated with a fresh batch.

I watched them all and know that they all got some into their system, just in the 3 hours I was watching and not counting those while I was working.

It’s funny, the only two that seemed reluctant to drink it and were kinda pulling eeew faces were LuLu and Blondie.

LuLu kept going up to the waterer and you could see she wanted a drink but she put in her beak took the tinniest amount and then shook her head
sickbyc.gif
Just coming up to bed time I was seconds away from caving and giving her some fresh water because I did not want her to possibly go to bed dehydrated and she was the one who caved and had a decent drink. Blondie had caved a little earlier, Dusty and Cilla did not seem fussed and were treating it like their normal water but KiKi and Crystal were sucking it into them like it was cordial .. Huh
roll.png
.. silly girls!

While I probably did not need to go into as much detail as I did [you know me, can’t help myself
hmm.png
] I am discussing the worming for a reason.

Interestingly, I noticed this morning that the amount of overnight poops was reduced. They were normal enough and no live or dead worms but there were a lot less than normal which I have never noticed before post worming. Anyone else seen that?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom