Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Good morning Friends :frow Aaaw Deej211 I am so sorry to read of your loss :( Congrats on the egg sale chicken-clucky :clap I got such a scare yesterday, the adrenaline is still pumping and I keep seeing it over and over in my head. For those that do not know, we have two indoor cats who have an outdoor run; they are fixed, vaccinated, microchipped, do not wander, do not annoy the neighbours, wildlife etc. They have no experience with cars and the big world outside. They do, however, like to sit at the windows or front and back doors and watch the world go by. They have never tried to bolt out the doors when you open them. Across the road’s cat, Versace, not so much! While he was only recently fixed, he wanders the neighbourhood, stalks the chickens, lays in our front garden, driveway etc taunting Syba and Chimee. So yesterday after putting the girls to bed, I open the front door to walk in and Chimee bolts out the door and towards the car in the carport. I did not know that Versace was sitting under our car. I tried to call Chimee back and when Versace spotted me he raced up the driveway, across the road and into his driveway, Chimee followed him! When she got to the other side of the road, having no experience with cars up close, when a car came towards her, she panicked and ran back across the road, right in front of another car coming the other way! It just missed her! Hubby and son came running out to my calls of panic and we found her hiding behind next door’s water tank .. when she saw her Dad, she came out and was safe and sound, back in the house quickly. I cannot get the vision of how close I came to losing her out of my head! I am so grateful to the driver of the car who I think saw her and a panicked me and reacted in time. Across the road should also be grateful because I swear if I had watched my sweet little girl be run over I would not be surprised if I did not punch them! I am still tempted to go over there and tell them to keep their cat under control and out of our yard. You definitely used up one your nine lives yesterday little girl!
So lucky!! I think our cat have more car smarts then some human. Here's me and my three young children yesterday
1f60d.png
1f431.png
1f431.png
1f431.png

Blows my mind that you still have to light a fire at this time of year.:eek:
Hope you foal arrives safe and well for you soon.

Oh no fires at this time of year. We are desperate for water though, first time in 10 years , I have sprinklers on the house garden, but only to keep it nice for wedding photos in a few weeks. Back to the hedging today. :rolleyes:

Thank you for your kind words all .. yep, I am so pleased I still have my baby and have to try on focus on that and get that horrible picture out of my head!

Fancy lol at “eating like a horse”
lau.gif
.. so looking forward to good news and pictures! Your garden would be a beautiful setting for wedding pictures!

Aaaaw, love the bubby pics chicken-clucky
love.gif

Hi Everyone,
Have been away on holiday down south in Mandurah/Ravenswood for the last week so hav only read last page on BYC.

Teila so glad ur cat is ok! My heart raced as u described what happened!

Fancychooklady hope the foaling goes well.
Chicken-clucky congrats on the eggs.
Deej211 so sorry for ur loss :(

As we left my mums place at Ravenswood this morning and turned on the radio we heard about a large fire 30 km south which is out of control. We hadn't watched the news the night before so didnt kno about it. We cld see it from the back Window looking like a mushroom cloud. Fire trucks were racing past from perth to help. Hope no lives are lost! Temp here at the moment is 43 ° in the shade :(

Last edited:
I read that chickens don't like getting wet, but I'm not sure that mine got the memo. I've never properly squirted them on purpose, but they've got a bit squirted by standing there when I'm filling bowls or doing something with the hose. They didn't seem to mind.

I read that chickens don't like getting wet, but I'm not sure that mine got the memo.  I've never properly squirted them on purpose, but they've got a bit squirted by standing there when I'm filling bowls or doing something with the hose.  They didn't seem to mind.  

Chickens are such individuals - what some dislike, others like. We got most of our chicken rearing/keeping advice from a book by Jackie French, an old bloke up the road and this thread.

It's really only silkies that don't fair well if drenched to the bone. They don't have a feather shaft and lack the water resistance that most birds have. Rather than wet them directly it is best to wait until they are under a tree for shade and hose the tree, allowing the water to trickle down over them.

Back
Top Bottom