Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

My husband thinks I'm mad when I go out a few times at night and early early morning with a torch to check on  chicks.  The same man fusses over them and gives them treats and then  builds better roosts, then fixes up the coop because he says its not good enough. lol

Hehe they all soft as marshmallow at heart. Speaking of hubby s , we just had the fire brigade visit, lights and all cause hubby decided to do a little burn off.
Put the horses in spin. :rolleyes:

I have had my babies (The only ones I haven't had a clucky to raise for me for a long time) out in the run for a couple of weeks now. I put them in a guinea pig hutch so all day they can all see each other. Today while trying to get pics the old Australorp (4yrs) got in with them and a couple of the babies got out. They were all fine as if they'd been seeing each other for years.

I'll let them run together properly soon, when they out grow the hutch.
That's what I did and all day they were fine then they slept together and then when I went out to them the next day the bigger girls wouldn't let the littlies near the food the silkies were fine with them. They have been sharing the coop with a wire divider for the last 2 days so today when I put them in the new run even the silkies picked on them. Mine were in a run next to each other for 3 weeks before I put them together. Poor babies

I hope you have better luck.

Fancychooklady a bit of excitement is always good the circulation. I hope they weren't too unhappy with you.

Myhaven they other night when I put the chicks to bed I accidently locked the ISA's in the run when I went out later I let them in the coop. Only 1 went in and roosted the other 9 huddled out near the run door. I even shone a torch in the coop so they could see where to go but they wouldn't go in there silly things. Yours sound very clever putting themselves to bed.

Myhaven, the lady who runs the place and served me when I brought him, said that yes they would take any chooks back if they turned out to be a roo. I've not heard back from her so far with my email, I might call instead. Might have been closed today due to the Easter break. They have a rooster program anyway, where for a fee they will rehome any roosters. I want to make sure he (still weird saying 'he')will go somewhere nice. I have to pick the big sook up to put him on the roost, and give him a cuddle before bed, such a softie. He'll make a great pet and breeding roo for someone who has the room. He'd end up squashing my banties, even though they all get along with him. Really torn up over this.

Those are some very cute little babies you've got there though, and how are your gorgeous birthday presents fitting in?

Last edited:
Myhaven, the lady who runs the place and served me when I brought him, said that yes they would take any chooks back if they turned out to be a roo. I've not heard back from her so far with my email, I might call instead. Might have been closed today due to the Easter break. They have a rooster program anyway, where for a fee they will rehome any roosters. I want to make sure he (still weird saying 'he')will go somewhere nice. I have to pick the big sook up to put him on the roost, and give him a cuddle before bed, such a softie. He'll make a great pet and breeding roo for someone who has the room. He'd end up squashing my banties, even though they all get along with him. Really torn up over this.

Those are some very cute little babies you've got there though, and how are your gorgeous birthday presents fitting in?

Fizzybelle - - is there any way at all that you could keep him ? ..... Give him a couple of laying pullets to be 'husband' to,if you have room for a couple more ? You have bonded with him - cuddles before bed-time etc., and it would be a shame if you couldn't keep him. IF - ( big if ) he is not given to ultra-loud rooster crowing - it just might be a thought.

Not to mention, the lovely wee chickens you might get ( which would present a new housing problem !!!
roll.png
).

I am being an 'enabler' here ......... and I have to laugh, as I have seen so many posts recently of people helping other people to decide to increase their flocks. ... However - - - -

From reading the posts, it seems there are a lot of uproars in putting chickens together in a happy state ??? So - I will stick to my 3 chickens for the moment, and when one or two die by natural means ( they are all coming up to 4 years old ) ... I will then and only then decide in re-arranging and getting some more lovely chickens - at POL.

Sounds awful I know, but I think I will have to be done with my 'girls' and their natural demise, before starting on another lot. Next time however, I think I will go for at least 8 POL hens, all of the same age and size - 4 in one run and coop and 4 in the other.

I feel kind of awful admitting to that !!
hide.gif

Cheers .......

She's ok, she's jumping or flying up onto the roof of the house and then out over the yard fence. She's ok, she's only out of the yard into my backyard, she just likes to wander about out there. It's only temporary, they'll go into the covered run soon-ish and the yard and little houses will be moved. When they're moved, I'll make sure they aren't next to the fence, and will probably cover that as well (if I don't get another run I've got my eye on in the classifieds)

Good Grief potato chip .....

I would be fit for a psych. rest home if my chickens ended up on the roof ???
lau.gif

"Just likes to wander about out there " ? Love the understatement.

Still think - for your own peace of mind that a clipping of wings wouldn't go amiss. It does NOT hurt them, provided they have enough wing power to get to their roosts ( if that is their preference ). It has never been my girls preference too much - even when they have had long wing feathers before I thought " Oh hell - I haven't done the clipping " .... one of my girls roosts continually, the other two cuddle up together in what was supposed to be a nesting box - but isn't. ( they use a straw bed in that coop for laying eggs ).!!!!

Your ideas for covering the runs etc. sounds like a good plan. Keep the 'wandering' blighters in where they belong.

Cheers .........

Last edited:
Good Grief potato chip .....

I would be fit for a psych. rest home if my chickens ended up on the roof ???
lau.gif
Not the roof of MY house, the roof of HER house, one of the little chicken houses that's in their yard. They are only 4 feet tall or something like that. she can jump up there. If she was up on the people roof, I'd definitely clip her wings.

Anyway, she stayed in the yard today. BUT they had visitors..... Bloody crows were in there.

Fizzybelle - - is there any way at all that you could keep him ? ..... Give him a couple of laying pullets to be 'husband' to,if you have room for a couple more ? You have bonded with him - cuddles before bed-time etc., and it would be a shame if you couldn't keep him. IF - ( big if ) he is not given to ultra-loud rooster crowing - it just might be a thought.

Not to mention, the lovely wee chickens you might get ( which would present a new housing problem !!!
roll.png
).

I am being an 'enabler' here ......... and I have to laugh, as I have seen so many posts recently of people helping other people to decide to increase their flocks. ... However - - - -

From reading the posts, it seems there are a lot of uproars in putting chickens together in a happy state ??? So - I will stick to my 3 chickens for the moment, and when one or two die by natural means ( they are all coming up to 4 years old ) ... I will then and only then decide in re-arranging and getting some more lovely chickens - at POL.

Sounds awful I know, but I think I will have to be done with my 'girls' and their natural demise, before starting on another lot. Next time however, I think I will go for at least 8 POL hens, all of the same age and size - 4 in one run and coop and 4 in the other.

I feel kind of awful admitting to that !!
hide.gif

Cheers .......

Anniebee I don't know if I could get away with keeping him. Brisbane city council states no roosters at all. He's yet to properly crow, only just started making small attempts so I don't know how loud he'll be, or if a no-crow collar would be sufficient or not. Six is the max allowed for a yard my size and yeah, the mischief my lot cause, it's enough. He'll probably get bigger still, so there's that to consider too. I want his best interests at heart, and my other girls too. If he was a bantam, I'd do it for sure, but just concerns for my other smaller hens leave me uncertain. It's not likely though. I'm a bad enabler too, and actually I've never been in this position before, having to consider giving up an animal, as I consider them family members. I just don't think logically it's the right choice. I'll call the hatchery to find out what kind of home he'll likely get before commiting to them. Most likely it'd be with them, or another breeder, so he'd have some ladies. I just gotta work things out soon before he becomes noisy :S Looks like Saturday though, we'll drop him off. I just hope Esme and Agnes don't take his absence too hard, the three chookies grew up together and are firm friends.

Last edited:
But that doesn't stop my girls trying. I throw everything in multiple directions, some over there, some over there some over here. That way, the chook people can run towards a spot near them and have some. But my big girls think all of it is for them, they run over and try to get all of it, all over the place.

Same here, but pepper just cannot physically be in three places at once so as she races to spot number one to see them off they just run to number 2 and eat something, when she notices and runs to number 2 they go to number 3 and eat something and so on it goes. May not be a relaxing breakfast but they do get a breakfast :)

Back
Top Bottom