Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Fancy, this part of the lobe I have circled is what we were discussing. I noticed it on Esmé the other day, but I don't think it's anything to worry about, though a second opinion is welcome. I was just surprized by it as I hadn't seen it before on Ezzie and thought it was bad, but Annabelle's had it for ages on her ear lobes, it was just more gradual or I noticed it longer. I just get a bit worried easily, especially after the losses I've had recently.

Annabelle has it too, I think it's just age related from what I could find. Ezzie's a year old and Annabelle's two.

Don't mind the gunk up her nose, I removed it and she seemed appreciative afterwards despite the fussing during. Add picking a chickens' nose to the list of things I never thought I'd do.

Standard Blue Lobes
bkWGa.jpg

Gold Earlobes
63357_greeneartuft2-1.jpg

and a standard white lobe
250px-Rooster_portrait2.jpg

Last edited:
I have not heard that and if correct, it is not true in all cases.

Sadly my beautiful blue Australorp Lizzy, got an infection where her eye used to be. I have been taking her to the vet and she was on antibiotics for two weeks - her comb was as bright as santa's costume but she was in a lot of pain - her eye socket was swollen and blue. She was shaking her head and rubbing it. Then she got a secondary infection and her crop got squishy and she dribbled green fluid from her beak in the end. I put her down on Saturday on the third trip. I wasn't going to put her through another surgery, which may not have helped.

Rest in peace Lizzy.

In the meantime - these little darlings hatched a day early on the weekend to distract me. White, splash, blue and black Ausyralorps.

And then Lara my Ara and Missy Moo my D'uccle thought they'd make me laugh. I often find Lara straddled over a d'uccle in the nest with only a tail tip showing.

I am very sorry to hear about Lizzie
hugs.gif

I'm glad the babies were a distraction they are so beautiful.
I gave a few frizzles away today, one of the black ones was found dead this afternoon. I felt so bad, I don't know how old she was. The poor lady had named her already.
My Australorps do that to my poor silkies. When they were all broody together I could barely see the silkie, though she actually pushes herself under them like a chick. Especially if they have something she wants.

[COLOR=0000FF]Originally posted by MyHaven  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]( in part ) .... The dogs won't be destroyed - although that would be sad I think it is the only way anyone can[/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000FF]be certain of no other attacks taking place. They will not even be declared dangerous.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]~~~[/COLOR]​

[COLOR=333333]I did reply before - ( a long winded comment as usual !! [/COLOR]:/  ) ... and I know you have had much experience with dogs.   These dogs however, have now been 'blooded'  and will almost certainly do it again - somewhere, somehow - if they get out and have the chance.   

This is something that I would draw to the Councils' attention as well, as they most certainly do pose a danger to other animals, and their standing up to you - ( to protect their prey ) must  come under the 'dangerous' category as well.    Sad thing is, the dogs don't know they are now dangerous.      

I wish you good luck with whatever you are able to do about this situation.   

Thanks, I did describe the possessive behaviour the dogs displayed to the investigator. The picked the birds up and carried them around when they pace. They dropped them and looked at me and then picked them up and walked with what was left of them again. It was the same behaviour (but with toys) that we encouraged and rewarded when training protection dogs. I explained they had now had positive reinforcement for killing and would again. I explain the birds were asleep in bed and that the dogs' only had a 20minute window of opportunity so the chickens did not engage the dogs prey drive. The council officers argument is that "the dogs won't get out" so can't do it again. That in itself is a statement confirming that the dogs are dangerous. If you have to keep them behind a six foot fence to stop them killing another animal that must mean they are dangerous.

I have to wait for "the boss" to ring me and see what he says.

Thanks.

Lol, Lara and Missy Moo are so thougthful trying to cheer you up, oh MyHaven, I'm so sorry for the loss of your dear Lizzy. Your new little ones though are beautiful, they'll definitely be a good distraction for you. Very robust, happy looking little chicks! Love Australorps :)

Here's a vid I took today of my Mabel going off on one of her rants. No idea why, she'd laid her egg, just likes to sing (likes to think she can sing). I also finished all my digging, despite the godawful heat/humidity (thanks to that storm early this morning here in Brissy, my god the thunder!) that area under the blue tarp in the video had crusher dust under it. Now the yard is all good for chickens again, and ready for some grass. https://www.instagram.com/p/BNtBhXdAV7p/?taken-by=fizzyschickens

The storms were mad. I thought I was going look out in the morning and see no trees or houses left standing.

Thanks for you kind thoughts.

Poor Lizzy. If it helps any, you probably did the right thing by her. :(

Thanks. Lizzy has made me think.

Firstly the vets confirm that my flock was hit so hard with the infections earlier this year because they had been kept so clean and they hadn't developed immunity.

After the CRD I made a decision that I would euthanise any bird with recurring illness.

I had Lizzy's eye removed 3 years ago about.

Because their was a space where the eye used to be, the infection had opportunity and grew.

The infection was likely to have come from her respiratory tract.

I was already at the vet and it was Lizzy who will always be special - so I decided to treat her.

The antibiotics had little effect. She'd been on antibiotics earlier in the year. The anti-inflammatories did a great job though to make her comfortable.

I was medicating her morning and night. I could see she wasn't improving.

I spent $1000 plus on vet bills on her in her time - and if she didn't suffer for it I'd do it again but - the eye removal made her susceptible and antibiotics earlier in the year made the infection harder to treat. Did I just keep her going for my own purposes? Would it have been kinder not to put her through surgery 3 years ago?

Would I do it again.

I'm getting too deep and maybe over thinking with everything that's been going on.

I've been up making reindeer cupcakes for my preps end of year breakup at school tomorrow. I'd better log off.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

Yikes, back to work today
caf.gif

Interesting discussion on the chicken earlobes [now there is something I never envisaged myself saying
wink.png
].

Howdy alicexx welcome to the thread, lovely to meet you.

MyHaven I am so sorry to hear about Lizzy
sad.png
she was very beautiful.
hugs.gif
's for everything you have had to endure recently. Those bubbies are adorable!
love.gif

Loved the video Fizzybelle!

LuckysMum I am sorry to hear about the black frizzle
sad.png

I got nothing! All quiet here.

Last edited:
Hi all Sorry for not many replys from me this week. Seems i have a pinched nerve in my lower back that has been not nice this week. I have to get a ct scan on Saturday so hopefully then they can work out a good course of treatment.

Wow, thanks for that! I would've thought blue meant the bright blue like a Silkie, but interesting to know there are variations to it. The gold lobe looks nice, like a pretty lemon colour.

Earlobe colour is determined by breed. The colour of the lobe dictates the egg colour laid by that bird. White lobes lay white eggs and red lobed birds lay brown eggs. Of course there are exceptions to the rule and silkies are a classic example.
Dry skin in summer and fungal skin conditions such as Favus can also turn lobes white.
In the case of silkies , with age their lovely blue lobes fade to white.

Back
Top Bottom