Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Here's one!

And here's all three following my Faverolles, Barbara.

Coram - - Your chickens are really gorgeous.

Satay - - so sorry to hear you have had 3 horribles attacking you, all at once. Bad enough glandular fever, which can be so very tiring, energy sapping - but to be fighting off Ross River fever plus infection is no joke at all.

As most have said - try to take it easy ( I know - easier said than done ) ... but you must take good care of yourself.

A Vitamin Supplement wouldn't go astray - say, strong Vitamin B complex ? and some C and D. Plenty of fluids and good wholesome vegies etc. .... I am sure you know the drill.

Teila .... I can only imagine how you will feel when the 'chookies fly out' .... are they permitted two to a carrier on board an aircraft ? Just thinking if they have a companion, might take the stress away a bit from each. The new coop looks magnificent. Good luck with your ultimate move - the time will go very quickly.

To all who have back gardens covered in feathers. I know the feeling well. Tons of it all over, and even though Mindy Araucana is growing her pin feathers at a great rate, she is still losing heaps of white feathers. Poor darling Mandy, is also moulting fairly rapidly ( which is unusual for her - but I am glad she is doing it more quickly this time ). She still waddles / walks / runs ( rarely ), and flaps her way around to wherever she wants to be. Discovered that she may have scaly mite - scales standing up - and a discolouration on her feet, but she is so very pidgeon toed now she falls over her big feet. Still and all, I have been smothering her legs and feet with vaseline twice a week, and am wondering if I should do it every day. She loves cuddles and when I set her down, she happily walks properly for a few yards - then 'plonk' down she sits again. Main thing is she seems to be happy, interested, loves eating bugs which she will travel about to find, and still eats like two horses. Biggest chookie gormandiser I have ever seen. Molly RIR is simply - Molly. !! No eggs, no moulting
hu.gif

Many thanks for the kind comments about our newest family member - Benjie ( sometimes, Benny !! ) kitty. Growing up rapidly and will be neutered in 2 weeks. He and Miss Ruby are currently organising their 'games'. So funny to watch.

Take care everyone -

Cheers ....

Last edited:
Good morning folks
frow.gif

Hey Angela you might find this thread helpful: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...week-lice-and-mites-prevention-and-treatments

Thanks Annie. The girls will be split across two crates. As LuLu is bottom on the pecking order and I do not fancy her chances in a crate all day with Blondie and Crystal, LuLu and Dusty will be in one crate together and Cilla, Blondie and Crystal in the other. Dusty is pretty good with LuLu and sleeps next to her on the roost so it should be ideal.

I am cat sitting for my neighbour at the moment .. meet Tangles; boy can she talk!!

Hi all just a question about my little silkie. Not exactly sure how old she is but I assume she is around 27 to 29 weeks old as we got her as a point of lay . She has not laid any eggs yet but she is going in and out of the nesting boxes quite a bit but does not sqaut at all .I am not concerned about her egg laying as I assume that even when she does eventually lay it won't be regularly .I was just wondering if she could go broody before she lays at all and how can I tell if she does .There is no rooster if that makes a difference.

Hi all just a question about my little silkie. Not exactly sure how old she is but I assume she is around 27 to 29 weeks old as we got her as a point of lay . She has not laid any eggs yet but she is going in and out of the nesting boxes quite a bit but does not sqaut at all .I am not concerned about her egg laying as I assume that even when she does eventually lay it won't be regularly .I was just wondering if she could go broody before she lays at all and how can I tell if she does .There is no rooster if that makes a difference.

She sounds like she trying to decide where she wants to lay her eggs. They should not go broody before they lay at least 2 eggs. You will know she broody when she spends most of the day sitting in the nest box and yells at you if you get close.
My silkies are good layers when they are not broody or moulting.

She sounds like she trying to decide where she wants to lay her eggs. They should not go broody before they lay at least 2 eggs. You will know she broody when she spends most of the day sitting in the nest box and yells at you if you get close.
My silkies are good layers when they are not broody or moulting.

Thankyou sj I have three others a belgian d'uccle laying wonderfully which I didn't really expect and 2 isa brown who consistently lay which of course I expected and they all did the squat, but my little silkie is so skittish doesn't let anyone near her I just can't tell. She is white so what colour eggs will she lay? How old were yours when they started to lay?

hi everyone :) i am new here, first time chicken owner :) i am from Aberglasslyn NSW :) i have 3 chooks, Prissy (white leghorn) beauty ( black australorp) and a isa brown called Penny. i also have two dogs GSD called saxon and Aisna who is a Kelpie cross :) We have had the girls now for 2 weeks. very surprised how well they settled in taking themselves to bed on the 3rd night :) at 5.20pm.. after two nights of encouraging into their new house :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom