Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Thanks. Blue laced red Wyandotte. Next lot will be a combination of silkie and coronation Sussex.
I went to a friend today and picked up 2 leghorns, 1 Australorp and 1 brown girl I forgot to ask what she was. They are all very quiet.
While I was there she showed me her Marans, I commented how beautiful they were and said that's what I want next. Haha I came home with 10 eggs she'd just collected for me to hatch. I'm so excited. Her last hatch was 100% so hopefully I will do as well.
Your Wyandotte's will be so pretty. I want so many varieties its not funny. But I really don't have any room. Can't wait to see some photos.
My granddaughter saw who lays my green eggs it is the frazzle.

I went to a friend today and picked up 2 leghorns, 1 Australorp and 1 brown girl I forgot to ask what she was. They are all very quiet.
While I was there she showed me her Marans, I commented how beautiful they were and said that's what I want next. Haha I came home with 10 eggs she'd just collected for me to hatch. I'm so excited. Her last hatch was 100% so hopefully I will do as well.
Your Wyandotte's will be so pretty. I want so many varieties its not funny. But I really don't have any room. Can't wait to see some photos.
My granddaughter saw who lays my green eggs it is the frazzle.
Sounds like you are experiencing the old ‘ chicken math ‘ dilemma. I’ve just set a mixed lot of SLW, BLRW, silkie, Orpington and coronation. :jumpy

I hope you do well with that hatch. I am jealous. Are all your sewerage problems resolved now. I hope your all well after all that.
I am reminded daily of our dear old duchess as she is buried up near the breeding pens. We are still waiting compensation for the loss of stock, but I fear it may end up in court. We are still unable to put animals on that acreage. :(
We had one good sunny day and now it’s snowing all around us.

WOW snow. Good luck with compensation. Its sad that they quibble with compensation after the heart ache they cause. Its not just stock its fur and feathered family, as well as your family exposed to it.
We buried Bear in the back yard next to the chook pen he used to love sitting there. The girls put flowers there and have made pictures for me to laminate and put there.

Hello! Its been a while since I have posted. I woke up this morning with 3 chicks hatched in the incubator. 1 normal, 1 a little weak (Better now) and one dead. When I left for school there were 2 others that had pecked holes, and when I got back home they were dead in their shell. They are all Phoenix from the same parent pair. There are more eggs from that pair in the incubator. The dead ones were fully formed with no deformations that I could see.

Could they be to tired to crack out the rest of the way?
Bacteria?
Diet of parents?
Or any other health issues?

The parent pair are full siblings. My best rooster died before I could hatch any chicks and I didn't have another rooster so I had to pair them up.
Their Sire is Black Breasted Red and their Dam is Blue Red. I also have eggs hatching form another Splash hen (Photos at the Canberra Royal Poultry Show 2018)
Phoenix pullet at canberra 2018 2.jpg Phoenix pullet at canberra 2018.jpg Phoenix cockerel at canberra 2018 2.jpg

Hello! Its been a while since I have posted. I woke up this morning with 3 chicks hatched in the incubator. 1 normal, 1 a little weak (Better now) and one dead. When I left for school there were 2 others that had pecked holes, and when I got back home they were dead in their shell. They are all Phoenix from the same parent pair. There are more eggs from that pair in the incubator. The dead ones were fully formed with no deformations that I could see.

Could they be to tired to crack out the rest of the way?
Bacteria?
Diet of parents?
Or any other health issues?

The parent pair are full siblings. My best rooster died before I could hatch any chicks and I didn't have another rooster so I had to pair them up.
Their Sire is Black Breasted Red and their Dam is Blue Red. I also have eggs hatching form another Splash hen (Photos at the Canberra Royal Poultry Show 2018)
View attachment 1524442View attachment 1524438View attachment 1524437
There are several causes for chicks to quit and die before hatch. As you’ve said , they include genetics, health and diet of parent stock, but fluctuations in humidity or incubator being opened after lockdown will have the same outcome. What brand incubator are you using? Some have cold spots and with the Chinese ones I think that 50 % hatch rate is all you can expect.

There are several causes for chicks to quit and die before hatch. As you’ve said , they include genetics, health and diet of parent stock, but fluctuations in humidity or incubator being opened after lockdown will have the same outcome. What brand incubator are you using? Some have cold spots and with the Chinese ones I think that 50 % hatch rate is all you can expect.

I will have to find the box, it was bought at a garage sale 4 years ago. It is a hexagon shape. I have checked the temperature and it was up to 39C, I have turned it down now and put more water in the base. I have lost 4 phoenix chicks and the rest of the phoenix eggs look like they have stopped growing inside (candled).
All of my Hamburghs are hatching normally, I have only had to tape up two with splayed leg and they are already walking around normally now (still taped).

A friend of mine has offered to hatch the rest of my eggs in her large self-turning incubator. And I have a broody sitting on some eggs.

Back
Top Bottom