Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Ooooops just read the heading of this thread.... SOUTHERN STATES... Sorry guys from butting into your thread, I got an email and just presumed that the original thread for australians had started a new one.....

Sorry guys, will find somewhere else to post.
sad.png

Heather

I visit my girls several times a day and even today when I tried to spray them lightly with the hose they kept running away. Got them a little bit but... U could try leaving a sprinkler on a light setting where they have a choice of going under it or not and observe their reactions before setting up permanent fixings or have a hose on spray temporarily taped up. Maybe thro some favoured treats in the wet zone to see if that tempts them. Make sure they can stay dry if they wish and don't get their normal food container wet. My girls go ape over tomatoes chopped up in little pieces so they all get some. I cube bread for them too - another favorite. I figure two slices between 8 chooks should b fine even if some get more or less

I think mine are happier to puddle thro the water when I empty the water bowl to refill. Would think there would b increased insect type activity in the dirt n they have a good pick. Expect standing in water should lower their body heat n cool them

See thats what happens when you cant think of anything good... Hope you like the new thread tittle.

I have a few eating habits I want to discuss but another time when I get more time to myself.

Now is this your eating habits?? Or that of your birds...
gig.gif

I agree with Wooklet. Assume I'm eligible to speak as South Australia gotta be considered southern n didn't like to say anything earlier but do feel the same way. Were all under the equator. Australians unite! Cmon gang. Whatcha say???

I posted awhile ago on the main forum re using bran n pollard and don't remember getting any replies but maybe someone here will know!

My girls love bran and pollard mixed together into oatmeal goo with warm water or milk in the cooler months. Heard somewhere it was warming for them. Now of course it's too hot!!! Is it the digestion of the food in the stomach that is warming or is it the hot water. As in can I mix it up and let it cool and dish it out?? The last thing I want to do is raise their body temperature! But they love the stuff, got stacks of it and is months til cooler weather is due.

Thoughts anyone? Would greatly appreciate and yes I know I overfret about them but it's too late for that now.

Hi guys! Great idea to start up the new topic... I was well lost in the other thread after not being around for quite a while. Now i'll just have to make sure I keep coming back so I can keep up with what is going on here!!
big_smile.png

I probably haven't ever really introduced myself (and a lot of things change in my life!). I'm Tina. 27 & married from SW Vic. Live on 20 acres with my hubby, 25 or so sheep, some calves & my 4 ISA browns, my new turkey pullet & little duck!

I'd love to get my hands on some geese for down at my dam... and more of well... everything! I have so much room here... unlike living in a backyard in Geelong! (moved from Geelong about 12 months ago).

Cute story - When I left Geelong I couldn't fit my 2 ISA browns that I had raised from chicks into the last load of stuff we were moving.. so I left them & their coop with my parents. At the start Mum & Dad were worried... They didn't really want the chooks. Now... Mum & Dad love the chooks (they are quite obsessed actually). Mum cooks them 'special' food every night like pasta and rice and they also get a mix of layer pellets & grains and free range every day!!

Mum never shuts up about how many beautiful eggs she has, or what the chooks are up to!!!! I'm so happy to know that my two ladies are living the chooky high life
yippiechickie.gif

Favorelle fab, I'd love to hear how you made your incubator (as well as seeing pics of your hatch!!!!). Want to share some of your wisdom?

Hey Ducky - what's this funny little island business??
ep.gif
Are we talking about Tassie or NZ here? Seriously,it's a good title,just having a stir !
Oh,welcome all,too many to name,good to see everyone here!
frow.gif
Interesing too,all the different States,different chickens,same passion - 2 legged feathered friends!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom