Australorp, Buff Orpington, or Easter Egger

would you guys recommend me getting a australorp, orpington, or easter egger rooster

• Buff Orpington

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Australorp

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Easter Egger

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Theres a swap forum and theres a bunch of people looking to rehome roos. Maybe even the free forum, both on this website.
x2. And if you still can't find anything, just go to the feed store and pick up a few chicks. People do it all the time, and it does often work out—it's just a little harder to integrate, and you have to deal with cockerel hormones for a while.

And pick the breed you like. If the choices included hatchery Barred Rocks (bad reputation) or Production Reds (bad reputation and personal experience says avoid those boys—I've only ever had one out of about fifteen that wasn't people-aggressive.), I'd say avoid those, especially since it's your first rooster. But none of the breeds you've listed are known for badly-mannered roosters, and you'd stand a pretty good chance of getting a decent one, no matter what you pick.

x2. And if you still can't find anything, just go to the feed store and pick up a few chicks. People do it all the time, and it does often work out—it's just a little harder to integrate, and you have to deal with cockerel hormones for a while.

And pick the breed you like. If the choices included hatchery Barred Rocks (bad reputation) or Production Reds (bad reputation and personal experience says avoid those boys—I've only ever had one out of about fifteen that wasn't people-aggressive.), I'd say avoid those, especially since it's your first rooster. But none of the breeds you've listed are known for badly-mannered roosters, and you'd stand a pretty good chance of getting a decent one, no matter what you pick.
I agree with the easter egger roo myself. Have never had any issues so far with mine.

I agree with the easter egger roo myself. Have never had any issues so far with mine.
My pair was not people-aggressive, but they were above average ar$es to the hens as cockerels, and never grew into anything special. I sold them at fourteen months and got a mixed breed Leghorn for three bucks. One of the best roosters I've ever had.

My pair was not people-aggressive, but they were above average ar$es to the hens as cockerels, and never grew into anything special. I sold them at fourteen months and got a mixed breed Leghorn for three bucks. One of the best roosters I've ever had.
I love ours. He's really beautiful, great with his hens, an excellent dad to his chick, and isnt aggressive to us)

Back
Top Bottom