Australorp, Buff Orpington, or Easter Egger

would you guys recommend me getting a australorp, orpington, or easter egger rooster

• Buff Orpington

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Australorp

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Easter Egger

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Idk about the hen breeds you have, but I know for a rooster I absolutely love Australorps. They're very gentle and don't have angry temperaments. Matter of fact, I had 2 adult male Australorps in the same coop with only 10 hens and they never once fought or got bloody. My kids can pick up my rooster without issue as well.

Idk about the hen breeds you have, but I know for a rooster I absolutely love Australorps. They're very gentle and don't have angry temperaments. Matter of fact, I had 2 adult male Australorps in the same coop with only 10 hens and they never once fought or got bloody. My kids can pick up my rooster without issue as well.

That is good to know.

Id say easter egger. Our easter egger is awesome. Great at caring for his ladies, as well as the flocks newest little addition.

As for australorps.... Ive only owned the roos once and according to what you guys have said they should have been docile. Guess mine were a special case?? We had about five in with a group of 20 or so hens and they always faught.

I'd say that Orps and Australorps are similar enough that it's going to come down to individual temperament. EEs are lighter and flightier.

Given a choice, I'd skip all of that and try to find a lad that's been raised in a multi-generational flock. He'll have learned how to treat the hens by watching his parents' behaviour, and his owners'll be able to tell you his temper and behaviours.

I've got a boy right now, a year old, who's taking after his father in every way. Respects the hens, calls for treats, makes no waves. I don't want to get rid of him because he's a really nice rooster. At the same time, I have no use for him.

If I were in your position, I'd call around to the local farms and see if they have a boy like that—one who's so nice they don't want to get rid of him, but is essentially superfluous. They'll be happy to give him to a nice home; you'll know his temperament before he comes home.

Back
Top Bottom