Australorp, Buff Orpington, or Easter Egger

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sadness child, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Buff Orpington

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Australorp

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Easter Egger

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. sadness child

sadness child Chirping

Jun 16, 2019
    I was wondering which rooster you guys would would recommend

These are my only options at my local feed store

2. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Crowing

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    What are your hens?

3. sadness child

sadness child Chirping

Jun 16, 2019
    2 speckled sussex
    1 CCLegbar
    3new hampshire red
    1RIR
    1? that is a bantam

4. sadness child

sadness child Chirping

Jun 16, 2019
    planning to get 2 brown leghorns of 2 Easter eggers

5. AMoritz

AMoritz Chirping

Jul 12, 2018
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin
    Idk about the hen breeds you have, but I know for a rooster I absolutely love Australorps. They're very gentle and don't have angry temperaments. Matter of fact, I had 2 adult male Australorps in the same coop with only 10 hens and they never once fought or got bloody. My kids can pick up my rooster without issue as well.

6. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Crowing

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    That is good to know.

AMoritz likes this.
  7. AMoritz

AMoritz Chirping

Jul 12, 2018
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin
    Yea, I was surprised as well! Australorp is basically just an Australian Orpington so it totally makes sense seeing how well orpingtons are behaved.

You'd think with the Austra size they'd be mean or something but they're not. All my crossbreds with austra in them are also much better mannered as well

8. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    Id say easter egger. Our easter egger is awesome. Great at caring for his ladies, as well as the flocks newest little addition.

As for australorps.... Ive only owned the roos once and according to what you guys have said they should have been docile. Guess mine were a special case?? We had about five in with a group of 20 or so hens and they always faught.

9. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I'd say that Orps and Australorps are similar enough that it's going to come down to individual temperament. EEs are lighter and flightier.

Given a choice, I'd skip all of that and try to find a lad that's been raised in a multi-generational flock. He'll have learned how to treat the hens by watching his parents' behaviour, and his owners'll be able to tell you his temper and behaviours.

I've got a boy right now, a year old, who's taking after his father in every way. Respects the hens, calls for treats, makes no waves. I don't want to get rid of him because he's a really nice rooster. At the same time, I have no use for him.

If I were in your position, I'd call around to the local farms and see if they have a boy like that—one who's so nice they don't want to get rid of him, but is essentially superfluous. They'll be happy to give him to a nice home; you'll know his temperament before he comes home.

sadness child likes this.
  10. sadness child

sadness child Chirping

Jun 16, 2019
    what if I cannot find a rooster that is over a year old or multi-generational

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: