Australorp critiques

pnyjmper89

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
Southern NC
I'd like to get some more experienced opinions on my just turned 12 week old pair of Australorps. I only have these two right now since I ended up with a cockerel, I'd like to wait until he fills out more to see if I'd want to bring in another hen and hatch out some eggs. My fiance was really keeping his fingers crossed that our little roo would have a chance to get shown, but all of a sudden his comb has started to flop over to the right. It seemed to have a correlation with the heat, as he had been in the AC during the hot parts of the day until just recently, but it could just be getting funky on us. Other than that obvious (and hopefully temporary) flaw, does the rest of him have anything that screams out, "don't breed me"? I've also included a couple pictures of our little girl. Keep in mind, they are only 12 weeks as of tomorrow so they still have some growing up to do. Just thought I'd get a preview critique
wink.png

Mr. Magic Man (his tail seems higher than normal here, maybe camera angle)
downsized_0723001953a.jpg

Struttin his stuff for the camera
downsized_0723001952.jpg

Miss Dora trying to steal some attention
downsized_0723001957.jpg

You can see his comb kind of wilting over to the side
sad.png

downsized_0723002034.jpg

Queen of the hill
downsized_0723001939.jpg

downsized_0723001943.jpg

downsized_0723001950.jpg

Pretty Miss Dora
downsized_0723001956.jpg

She's very in your face, just stares at you. And cries for you to grab her if she's not near her coop and it's getting dark like "heeeeey, put me away please?!". Dumb as a door nail for everything else though
roll.png

Are you sure that there Australorp?
Is "Mr. Magic Man" crowing yet?
What are the bottoms of the feet (Mr. Magic Man and Miss Dora)

Chris

The roo has too much of white earlobes, a REAL Aussie would NOT have white earlobes.

Either you probably got a Black Leghorn (conformation does not look it) or a Minorca......if the hens lay white eggs, then that settles it.

I would not use him for breeding. The flop over comb is a NO NO in showing. They must stand erect. No folding, no tipping or flopping.

JMO Aussies are a hard breed to perfect. This was the best Roo I had, but he still wasn't the best. He looked okay though. You can use him to compare a little.

34583_vincent_april_2010.jpg

I just got back in from looking at my black australorps and they all have dark earlobes. Mine are hatchery stock and are 8 weeks old. So far my black australorps combs stand straight

**I edited my post because I made an error on it

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom