Australorp critiques

Yupp, that's what I figured. They both have whitish feet on the bottom and he's just started crowing. I'll hold out some hopes for once they get a little older, but if that comb doesn't stiffen up at all it's going to be a no go anyways. Is there a possibility that her face and his ears may redden up a little once they're a little older or would it have already gotten darker by now? I figure that if they wouldn't stand a chance in the show ring and they don't have a particular characteristic I'm trying to introduce, then they aren't going to be allowed to repopulate on my watch.

I have Australorps and right now the hens Miss Peacy her earlobes are pinkish white but turning red though. Shes about 4 months old now. I know shes an aussie..But when she was little I couldnt really tell what color her earlobes were. heres a pic of her. And she has black black feet and the green sheen to her feathers. my other hens do to but my one roo he has white feet?
62989_2010_07240011.jpg
[/img]
62989_2010_07240015.jpg
mg]

Last edited:
I don't think that he is a Australorp.
I do think that he makes a better Hatchery type Black Minorca than a Australorp...

Chris

Quote:
I agree!

Australorps would never have white earlobes, young or not. With hatchery chicks, you never know what you will get or what kind of throwbacks you will get from the hatchery or whatever breeder uses for his stock.

It is very difficult to find true Aussie breeders that are not from hatchery stock. There are out there but it is like trying to find a needle in the haystack.

Quote:
Very nice specimen of a good Aussie. Yes he may not look the BEST but with right genes/correct hens, you should be able to get there sooner than the poor type hatchery birds.

Aussies have dark brown eyes, never hazel, green or blue. They usually are like the Orps in stature but more red in the cheek area.

Hmmm, they actually do look alot more like a Minorca than an Australorp, with his floppy comb and droopy wattles and her more upright/pinched looking tail. Although his ears aren't nearly that white, could just be a flaw still. The lady I got them from said she had just gotten the parents from an elderly gentleman who had a bunch of different breeds, so maybe she just saw black chicken and assumed Australorp. Guess I'll just wait and see what they look like when they get a bit older. These guys were just a quick pick for some egg layers, the next group will have much more research behind them. You know, so maybe I'll end up with the right breed
roll.png

Jeees Hes cute Elite silkies...

I thought minorkas had a large white ear lobe?

Australorps really are the hardest breed to not only find but you never ever know what can come up in thier gene pool. Make sure soles of feet do not have yellow..earlobes need to be red.sometimes when they are colder I have seen thier ear lobes only in the hens get a little blue but most of the time red...

The Australorps is decribed as the bird of curves the elite silkies profile is like it should be,we just dont have the great ones here.. and a scant few of us even trying to work on it..

Why dont you Show that little hen she has a wonderful character and that famous rolling australorps eye ball that makes me laugh..show as a pullet between 5 and 7 months they are usually feathered out nicley and have combs reddened..play wait and see with the rooster..

This is what a black orpington looks like they were the foundation birds for australorps
35675_chicken_pics_058.jpg

This is the smaller ASAI Australorps.the intention of the breed was to lay record numbers of eggs.they set several world records..Many Australian breeders complain that the show breeders areruining the origional intention of the breed..several breeders there are trying to find closed flocks of ASAIs.

35675_john_cabin_pics_284.jpg

A modern Australian Champion, sorry , we have nothing quite like it, the tails on our version are all considered a serious fault in Australia. too big they say...you wont find any females like these unless the breeders start fromm scratch and make them..
Australians bred clean legged langshans in to further shorten the back and more blk buff orp to make the tail smaller.

Champion Pullet
5470884.jpg

Champion Rooster
30802196.jpg

champion hen
2520712.jpg

Champion chocolate rooster
90703139.jpg

And LOL! A long ways to go, but not discouraged by anything or anyone..
35675_john_cabin_pics_352.jpg

Last edited:
The Champion Australorps look more like the Orpington type to me. So, maybe we need to put more Orp back in the Aussies?

I sold my Rooster, so I don't have him anymore. I am working on the Lavender Australorps now. I'm using a Lav Orp from Hinkjc. So, maybe he'll put more of the orp type back into the Aussies. I'm hoping anyway
smile.png

Thank you Aveca for that information. The Australian birds look alot different than any pictures I've seen of our birds over here. I suppose I'll wait a couple more months for my hen, she's not even quite three months yet, to hopefully fill out more and darken in the face. My roo is most likely just going to stay around for a pet despite his floppy comb, since, as it stands so far, he's really sweet and just nice to have around.

Quote:
Thats what Im trying to do..Your rooster is really very nice by american standards. Great looking bird..I would LOVE to see your hens..Hes better than most Ive seen, and beleive me, I ran ads, e-mailed everywhere and said price was no opTion but got nothing...a few replys but nO Really decent birds to work with so decided to start working on them myself..such a nice breed we just got behind..lots of american breed chickens because those who did work at chose them and I now understand why....What happened was when WW1 and 2 happened more and more women started heading out into the work force and we all turned to commerical grocery store chicken and a lot of breeds fell by the wayside , Australorps thou a champion egg layer went broody so the commercial companies didnt want them

Heres an issue that cropped up for me..I bought a few birds at different show sales, we bought a cockeral that looked really nice , good comb correct coloring great eye a bit leghorn looking but figured I could work with him............Well we got what we thought was a really nice cockeral out of him super nice comb coming along heres the problem...He has yellowing on the webbing of his feet and slightly on bottoms of feet....Very bad for australorps ... Not correct and could be a DQ...Where did that come from? perhaps someone way back had a jersey giant hen thought it was an australorps...Even though we showed his father won a blue ribbon the soles on his feet were correct , you just never know what is lurking in the background...so Im going to sell him..he will produce good egg layers for sure bu cant breed show birds out of him , hes just not correct...

I hasd the odd thought well I can breed it out with our blk orps but a freind made me think again about it so now Im searching for another cockeral the old rooster died this year..

Nice cockeral but yellowing on feet will make someone a nice looking rooster.
35675_chicken_pics_051.jpg

Its tough when you work so hard on something to have things like this happen but I just dont give up..I put out a call to robert whitney who owns the east coast champion australorps to see if he has a cockeral I can buy..this one will go in bath NY sale..

35675_chicken_pics_065.jpg

I just bought this hen , she origionally came from superior farms. so one step forward and one step back..Thats the nature of a breed like this I guess..

35675_chicken_pics_058.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom