Australorp or Jersey Giant Rooster?

rascal66

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 10, 2015
Washington
Got this boy a while back thinking it was an Australorp but now I'm not entirely sure... Lady i got him from didnt know the breed. He is young, roughly about 6-7 months? Thoughts?
20191020_154023.jpg
20191020_154007.jpg
20191020_154014.jpg
Small note: the little white bits on his head was the result of eating yogurt scraps, He's all black!

The legs for both BJG and Australorp should be black. The BJG should have yellow feet bottoms, while the Australorp has pink/flesh colored feet bottoms. A BJG has a flat back, an Australorp has more of a curved back.

we’ve had an Australorp male until he was 11 months old. We currently have two 4 month old and one 20 month old BJG males.

your male looks a lot like a BJG in body shape, and feathering, but legs aren’t that dark -should be darker. Per standard his tail would be wrong too, as it should be wide/spreading and at a 45 degree angle off the back. An Australorp tail is more classic upright, with the longer tail feathers typically associated with Roosters.

@EggWalrus mentioned Black Orpington, but I’m not familiar with that breed, so I can’t make a comparison.

still, a handsome cockerel!

The legs for both BJG and Australorp should be black. The BJG should have yellow feet bottoms, while the Australorp has pink/flesh colored feet bottoms. A BJG has a flat back, an Australorp has more of a curved back.

we’ve had an Australorp male until he was 11 months old. We currently have two 4 month old and one 20 month old BJG males.

your male looks a lot like a BJG in body shape, and feathering, but legs aren’t that dark -should be darker. Per standard his tail would be wrong too, as it should be wide/spreading and at a 45 degree angle off the back. An Australorp tail is more classic upright, with the longer tail feathers typically associated with Roosters.

@EggWalrus mentioned Black Orpington, but I’m not familiar with that breed, so I can’t make a comparison.

still, a handsome cockerel!
My Australorp from Meyers looked identical to what they're showing (I had him 4 years ago, now I have pure BJG). I never thought it looked like an Australorp, but that's what they sold me. This is why I stopped ordering chicks after I got the flock I wanted. Either the hatcheries would sex my chicks wrong or they didn't look pure.

Thank you all for your input! I'll go check out under his feet to get that info too. I want Jerseys but will possibly get them next year

Back
Top Bottom