Australorps breed Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by call ducks, Mar 27, 2010.

1. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    Here are pics of a few of the Gilbert BA's I was able to get to hold still. Feel free to tell me what you breeders are seeing and what I should watch out for. They are 8 weeks old in these pics.

Dan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  2. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Me too, its part of the game when you ride. Good to hear you Dad still rides! That's the best when you can go for a putt with the old man!
    After hitting the cattle my bike was a wreck due to the cattle in the front and my buddy running into me in the back(he broke his hip).
    I had road rash here and there and 3 nice big contusions the size of grape fruit up and down my left leg, I do some limping now and again.
    The 3rd day after the crash I was out removing bent parts and ordering new ones. I went on a 250 mile run that weekend, had a lot of comments and some good laughs on how I was riding 1/2 a bike and how it got that way, "So how does the inside of a cows butt smell" stuff like that. The Buddy sold his bike the next year, couldn't hold up himself with the old lady.

3. huppfarm

huppfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Not much to say at this point, you'll have a better idea at 6 months...............they look fine in my monitor!

4. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    Thanks Chet! It is Fun to watch them grow up and those here & there white wing feathers amuse me. I guess they come from some where down the line. I know all BA's I've seen at this age have them. October I should be able to have a better idea. In my eyes they seem to have pretty good type, most tails seem pretty good also. Some of the combs are wonky, but enough good ones for some keepers.

Last long trip I took with Dad was down to AR in the Ozarks and back. We usually ride about 60 to 70 miles once a month and eat breakfast.

Dan

5. Peneliva

Peneliva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    Kentucky

Anyone?

6. CinnamonQueen

CinnamonQueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Texas
    Me too! Non-Australorp-breeders unite!!! I don't even really have pure bred australorps hens anyway (inexperienced breeders [​IMG]), and I certainly don't have any near-future rooster related plans... not yet...

7. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    looks like shes going to be good sized peneliva..

8. fowlmouthgirls

fowlmouthgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    East of Dallas
    Do their beaks change colors as they grow? One of mine has a good bit of orange on hers, then again she's a hatchery bird so there's no telling what her genetics are[​IMG]

9. AParmer

AParmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    I've questioned this myself. I have a couple of girls that their beaks are almost solid slate and the rest of them have some orange on them. I've read that the feet, beaks, vents, and maybe ears start to lose color slowly as the hens start laying eggs. I'm unsure how true that is because these are the first chickens I've raised from chicks. I'm eager to know if it's at all true. I believe it had something to do with the yellowing of the yolks?

10. AParmer

AParmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    Graham, Alabama
    My dearest husband brought home 9-way scratch today! [​IMG] All of my chicks are between 5 weeks and 9 weeks. Is it alright to feed this or should I give in and make the trip to town for my normal food?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by