Australorps breed Thread

Well I sure don't have any that looks like that. Not even close so I'll just choose the best I can choose with what I have. Thank you all for trying to help me. I really appreciate it.
You are looking at some of the best in the US. Keep these photos somewhere you can refer to them. Get the outline in your mind, and you will know a good one when you see it.

Originally Posted by RoseMarie1

Well I sure don't have any that looks like that. Not even close so I'll just choose the best I can choose with what I have. Thank you all for trying to help me. I really appreciate it.

You are looking at some of the best in the US. Keep these photos somewhere you can refer to them. Get the outline in your mind, and you will know a good one when you see it.
Yes, those are amazing BAs. I like the Hupp BAs and can really tell the difference between them and the Cackle hatchery BAs that I have in the layer pen.

Hi Rosemarie, I have posted this pic in this thread before but here is a visual representation of one of my Australorps back curve. I think this will compliment cubakid's explanation. She is not perfect but has a reasonable curve. Notice how she has no sharp angles.
That is the perfect angle to show off the curves. It would be interesting to see this bird and an Orpington side-by-side to compare the curve. Are you all breeding for very full tails? I don't have a good understanding on what the tails on the pullets and hens should look like.

How's my BA turning out?? She's a 12/13 wk old hatchery bird, ya never know how they will turn out...

RoseMarie,
This is what I like at 6

months (cockerel).
Your cockerels are much more developed than mine at this age. I think I need to increase protein. Sure hope mine look this good in years to come. Thank you everyone for your feedback on my young cockerels, Darwin and Perth. I will keep both of them going for another 6 months and see what I get. I am starting to see some comb problems, the ever present floppy point. I would love combs like the ones shown above. Am I going to be able to breed this out of my line, or will I need to introduce a cock with a good comb to get what I want?

Cindy

Thank you all for the kind words on my birds. I am a very small operation on top of a mountain trying to do my best for quality Australorps. I started with questionable stock, but contacted good breeders with birds that I liked and bred the best to the best. Sometimes it works out and sometimes not. You just have to keep at it!
Kurt

Thank you all for the kind words on my birds. I am a very small operation on top of a mountain trying to do my best for quality Australorps. I started with questionable stock, but contacted good breeders with birds that I liked and bred the best to the best. Sometimes it works out and sometimes not. You just have to keep at it!
Kurt
You're breeding birds, not paper, and it shows. Love seeing them.

How's my BA turning out?? She's a 12/13 wk old hatchery bird, ya never know how they will turn out...
She is very cute! Interesting to me that she has the same slight webbing between the toes that my hatchery BA's have. I see she also has the white tipped feather mine had that age also. Mine are now 17 weeks and have lost all the white tipped feathers. I love handling them so I can feel how soft their feathers are. I really just can't get over it. Unfortunate my Peppa is a pecker so I pick her up almost everyday teaching her not to peck me. She is slowly learning but she has a very strong will. She even gives my old hen a bad time frequently too. So far those two work it out one way or another on a given day.
~Dee~

She is very cute! Interesting to me that she has the same slight webbing between the toes that my hatchery BA's have. I see she also has the white tipped feather mine had that age also. Mine are now 17 weeks and have lost all the white tipped feathers. I love handling them so I can feel how soft their feathers are. I really just can't get over it. Unfortunate my Peppa is a pecker so I pick her up almost everyday teaching her not to peck me. She is slowly learning but she has a very strong will. She even gives my old hen a bad time frequently too. So far those two work it out one way or another on a given day.
~Dee~
My 2 BA's are also 17 weeks but they run away from me. It is because they are the youngest of my 22 chickens, and when any other chicken just approaches them they run away. They spend most of the day huddled together sort of as outcasts. I try to get near them but they act wild, running around. We catch them and try to pet them but the completion is too much. Hopefully as the get older they won't be so afraid of everything.

Back
Top Bottom