Australorps breed Thread

My Black Australorp, the poor dear, was getting attacked by my two female turkeys. After months of no one picking on anyone, this just started happening out of the blue.

I had her in one area separated from them, but someone jail broke her. Moved her to another area and she got out of that by herself (who knew these birds were so smart?) and I now have her camped in the breezeway between the house and garage that is fenced in because of our dogs. She has been staying in there and I am mending her the best I can. When I first saw her after the attacks I thought I would vomit. The whole top of her head was laid open.

A chicken that was one of the stronger girls of the flock has turned into a timid, way-too-easy to pick up bird.

A couple of the other girls hop the fence and come visit her and I think she likes that, as long as the turkeys stay out.

It's a bad picture, and this looks better than a week ago. Scabs are starting to form. She will be missing part of her comb
hit.gif
and
I don't know if feathers grow back or not after something like that.
somad.gif

She's a fighter though. I thought I would give her a couple weeks before I put her down or something. And through all of this, she is still laying eggs!!
You really need to use a screw worm preventative spray on her to prevent maggots.

They are packed in the corner but they look nice. Tell us something about them! I always appreciate your input!

Dan

Well they are still young, but are turning out quite impressive. Many times crossing lines leads to birds with less than desirable traits. But these prove, as well as their 50 siblings that their parents made a pretty good match. Father was a Gilbert bird, mother a distant Sherman bird. They have great size, and type is pretty decent. I'll try to get a bigger picture.

OK thank you Ron! I'm keeping 7 pullets but did not like the cockerels at all so I sold all of them. They were just too tall and lanky for lack of a better word. So I don't have a cockerel but can get one if I decide I want to keep these. I am surely going to keep them for awhile though until can get some eggs. lol They will be 4 months old the 9th and look like grown birds. They've been eating fermented food for about 2 months now I guess. 

I just started my girls on fermented food. They seem to like it on the ground more than in a pan so I pit down grass and out handfuls of the food in seperate areas. I have 22 chickens and some get left out so this has worked out. I am giving it to them only once due to the many chickens. I may have to start a bucket!

Quote:
here are the pics. I am hoping you knowledgeable folks tell me they are both (14 wks tomorrow) pullets. They look a little beat up because the lady I got them from said she had them in a brooder with older birds and I am assuming they spent a lot of time in a corner. They already look A LOT better than when they arrived but still have a ways to go. Hard to get good pics. Had to distract them with their first taste of hardboiled egg. They are slowly taming down but still fairly skittish and tho you can pick them up without any flailing about, they scream like banshees!!!

bird on right above is same one as bird below. hard to tell at this angle but bird on right is larger bodied and taller than one on left tho not quite the size difference as when I got them. Guardedly certain the one on the left (the smaller) is one that did at least one, maybe both of the intestinal sheds.

above and below clearly same bird.

Last edited:
I just started my girls on fermented food. They seem to like it on the ground more than in a pan so I pit down grass and out handfuls of the food in seperate areas. I have 22 chickens and some get left out so this has worked out. I am giving it to them only once due to the many chickens. I may have to start a bucket!
I use a vinyl gutter for my food trough for mine. That way they have plenty of room to eat. I did have 38 birds but now down to 17 which is much better. I just bought the end pieces for the gutter and drilled a couple holes in each end of it to attach the ends where they would stay put. Then just made some feet for it out of some short pieces of landscaping timbers so it wouldn't be on the ground.

here are the pics. I am hoping you knowledgeable folks tell me they are both (14 wks tomorrow) pullets. They look a little beat up because the lady I got them from said she had them in a brooder with older birds and I am assuming they spent a lot of time in a corner. They already look A LOT better than when they arrived but still have a ways to go. Hard to get good pics. Had to distract them with their first taste of hardboiled egg. They are slowly taming down but still fairly skittish and tho you can pick them up without any flailing about, they scream like banshees!!!

bird on right above is same one as bird below. hard to tell at this angle but bird on right is larger than one on left tho not nearly the size difference as when I got them. Guardedly certain the one on the left (the smaller) is one that did at least one, maybe both of the intestinal sheds.

above and below clearly same bird.

not sure but the first pic the one on the right looks like it could be a roo but can't see the tail nor tell how tall he is standing on the pic. I had FITS figuring out who was males and who was females on mine with this breed.

oh and the screaming.....mine sound like you are killing them when you pick them up! UGHHHHH they say they are naturally shy but good grief that's rediculas! sp?
hmm.png

Last edited:
here are the pics. I am hoping you knowledgeable folks tell me they are both (14 wks tomorrow) pullets. They look a little beat up because the lady I got them from said she had them in a brooder with older birds and I am assuming they spent a lot of time in a corner. They already look A LOT better than when they arrived but still have a ways to go. Hard to get good pics. Had to distract them with their first taste of hardboiled egg. They are slowly taming down but still fairly skittish and tho you can pick them up without any flailing about, they scream like banshees!!! bird on right above is same one as bird below. hard to tell at this angle but bird on right is larger than one on left tho not nearly the size difference as when I got them. Guardedly certain the one on the left (the smaller) is one that did at least one, maybe both of the intestinal sheds. above and below clearly same bird.
not sure but the first pic the one on the right looks like it could be a roo but can't see the tail nor tell how tall he is standing on the pic. I had FITS figuring out who was males and who was females on mine with this breed. oh and the screaming.....mine sound like you are killing them when you pick them up! UGHHHHH they say they are naturally shy but good grief that's rediculas! sp? :/
Thanks for your input! I'm afraid the pullet I bought on the right is a he. It stands just a bit taller than the other one and their tails look about the same tho you can see the butt (only the butt) in the fourth pic. :D

Thanks for your input! I'm afraid the pullet I bought on the right is a he. It stands just a bit taller than the other one and their tails look about the same tho you can see the butt (only the butt) in the fourth pic.
big_smile.png

Now I could be wrong since I AM new at this. I was hoping someone on here would come on and give you some advise.

Back
Top Bottom