Australorps breed Thread

My 25 year old daughter asked if an old hen would be good to eat I told her yes! My Mom would tell us to pick one out that was not laying and then it would become some of the best chicken and dumplings!

I have heard cooks say that a hen had more flavor.

Here is all 3 pictures for comparison.

American SOP

Australian SOP
I was basically looking at angle of the tail, and a sweeping curve or lack of turns at the topline. Is that not right? Or am I wrong in what I am looking for?

Dan

My six month old.

Last edited:
I think my questions have been ignored. I am trying to learn exactly what to look for. I know any Standard is subject to personal opinions. Another thing I am curious about is this cushion? Not desirable? Does any one have a pic of a Hen with & without to show the difference?

Dan

I think my questions have been ignored. I am trying to learn exactly what to look for. I know any Standard is subject to personal opinions. Another thing I am curious about is this cushion? Not desirable? Does any one have a pic of a Hen with & without to show the difference?

Dan
Dan, Near as I can tell the cushion is a bump in the line at the top of the chicken. It is a fault for some points off not a DQ. It may come from Cochin being part of Orpingtons and pops up more with BAs crossed to Orpingtons to make them bigger(Often a mistake).

Rhode Island Reds have a similar problem but is likely from breeding to Rocks with the RIRs.

Back
Top Bottom