Australorps breed Thread

I got a few pics. Not exactly the best to show off their form, but that will come later. DH is learning to take chick(en) pics, and they were not very cooperative. Better pics later on.

The white on them is sand. They are black with magic green sheen. The sand also reflects, making their undersides appear lighter than they are. I will be adding sod, but haven't got it in there yet.
I'd leave off the sod in that small qan area. The birds will kill it in a week.Once they are used to their coop, perhaps you can let them out to graze when you can watch them.

I'd leave off the sod in that small qan area. The birds will kill it in a week.Once they are used to their coop, perhaps you can let them out to graze when you can watch them.

I Agree 150%!!

Dan
I have seen plans for a greens growing system that is designed to keep Green things growing for the chickens. It is a raised bet with wire over the top. I wonder if that really works though?

Can't let them out to graze, but I get several pieces of sod weekly, or every other week for them to graze, and tear up. They enjoy it, and it keeps them busy.
They love stuff like that!

Leaves, cut branches. Just make sure there are no chemicals.

Last edited:
Gramma Chick, You understood me. Yay! Now you know why I will put him in a bachelor pad if/when needed. The bachelor pad is 10 x 8. The ladies are in a 10 x 8 as well, then I can rotate daily the opening of the front portion to them, which is an additional 20 x 8.

ronott1, Yes they do. Agree with no chemicals.

I have seen plans for a greens growing system that is designed to keep Green things growing for the chickens. It is a raised bet with wire over the top. I wonder if that really works though?

I have a area like this in my run.

I can vouch it works well. My mesh is on a hing so I can lift it for cleaning if need be. I have neglected it a bit this summer as we had a heap of bird moulting and some feathers would get trapped in there, reducing the grow area.

I have some run modifications coming up before we start to get rain where I will add a second one.

There is finer mesh over the heavy gauge panel.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom