Australorps breed Thread

I am hoping this one is getting ready to lay soon! She just turned 18 weeks.
DSC08680 (2).JPG

View attachment 1048065 View attachment 1048067 I have a couple of Black pullets I got this year. I handled them while they were small chicks but they don't want to be handled now their about 12 weeks old and when I try to handle them they sound like.they scream bloody murder. I cover their eyes for a second and they calm right down but don't seem to like being handled.Any one else have this problem with theirs if so is there anything I can do to calm them down more.
Mine don't like to be handled either. I have three that are around 4 months old now and only one of them will let me be even near her but won't let me touch her. I have one or two cockerels from the same batch that will let me touch them currently. I just assume its a hatchery bird thing because the other birds from the same hatchery, Mottled java's, and some barred rocks that I've since sold, are very shy to me too. But the birds that I got from people that breed at home or that I bred myself, are much more friendly.

I have a serious question re the Astrolorp breed and the Georgia heat. It can get very hot and humid in southern GA sometimes reaching index heat of 103 with 70% humidity in the summer. How do they fare in this type of heat. Thank you for replying.

Back
Top Bottom